Appearance of landing page

Appearance of landing page

by Heleni Lindsell -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded from version 3.5.5 to 3.9 (my first time doing an upgrade on moodle) and it has changed the visuals of our landing page in the sense that the block has been widened out and some of the text is running off the block (see screenshot below):

I know how to edit width of blocks in course content but is there any way of changing the width of the blocks for the landing page?

Any help I would be really grateful.

Heleni

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heleni Lindsell

Re: Appearance of landing page

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
This might be a "theme" issue. I am not the expert on themes, but what theme are you using, and did you upgrade it? Depending upon what advice you receive from others, you might need to describe how you did the upgrade.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Heleni Lindsell -

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your reply.  I'm using the 'Adaptable Theme' and yes I did upgrade it.  I did the upgrade by following moodle's own notes on it here: https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Upgrading

by Rick Jerz -
Okay. I don't use Adaptable, but I do recall seeing something from Gareth (one of Adaptable's developers) saying that there are problems with Adaptable and Moodle 3.9. I don't know if this is still true, but you might want to search for more information. Gareth hangs around the forums, and he might see our discussion and let you know the status. I do see in the plugins downloads that Adaptable says the current version supports Moodle 3.8, but not 3.9, so I am concerned. So, do some checking into this.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Helen, upgrade process you followed was absolutely right to upgrade it perfectly, despite a huge gap in between. I haven't personally read through the upgrade documentation (or may be I had a decade back on my first upgrade), but I suspect a crucial thing missing from documentation is looking into plug-ins first and that is what I recommend people upgrading, to make a list of additional plug-ins installed and look into plug-ins directory to see if the plug-ins are updated to the moodle version they are updating, in most cases plug-in developers do upgrade plug-ins before hand or right on release of new moodle version. however moodle 3.9 is exception for still many plug-ins are getting there to be supported by 3.9. This brings to Adaptable which still isnt, so people switched to Moove theme (as of now, most downloaded theme) so assumption is people switching to that.

This, I recommend to you as well, to switch theme as of now, you can choose to see which theme suits you well by looking into most downloaded plug-ins (https://moodle.org/plugins/stats.php) and you'll find some 5-6 themes listed there that were most downloaded. which ever suits you well and supports moodle 3.9 as well.

@Rick, Adaptable is a fork of BCU (Birmingham City University) theme, later developed to be used in Coventry University where Jez (Lead Developer) moved to from BCU, that is why I see Helen's affiliation to apply it on Coventry City Council wink
In reply to Usman Asar

by Rick Jerz -
Usman, in the Updating web page, there is a section about "Check for plugin updates." However, there appears to be some room for improvement, especially for folks who are new to upgrading. If one does "Before upgrading" they would probably know if their production update will work. But some of the documentation might be overlooked by people new to upgrading.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Rick, it unfortunately only shows if there is a newer plug-in available, does not give any alert for existing plug-in's not working, and let it install with rest of the code later to get error codes during installation.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Rick Jerz -

Yes, you are correct.

And this situation is also complicated by some plugins showing they are compatible with (let's say) Moodle 3.8, but we know that they work in 3.9.  (This is not the case with Adaptable, but is the case with Configurable Reports, as an example.)

In reply to Usman Asar

by Heleni Lindsell -
Hi Usman, I did make a list of all the additional plugins and their locations etc. Any that needed updating it said would happen automatically as the upgrade went through.
Ok, I will try Moove theme on test site and see how that looks plus look at the helpful link you sent. Thank you