Newly hidden "Post a copy to all groups" checkbox

by Nathan Lind -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Howdy Forum Fans,

Please see my Moodle Tracker ticket and vote for it or improve it, thanks!

Description

In numerous previous Moodle versions, prior to 3.8, Moodle Q and A forums using groups had a visible (and very handy) checkbox to allow the teacher to "Post a copy to all groups" - this checkbox is now hidden, and becomes visible only after clicking the "Advanced" button and waiting for the whole page to reload. Our faculty already miss this checkbox and then find out their students cannot reply to their question, despite their having posted the question to "All participants" because the question does not belong to any group. This does not make any sense to faculty, or to us who support them. Please return the "Post a copy to all groups" checkbox to the first page that loads and do not require faculty to click Advanced.
Or, make the location/visibility of this setting controllable by Moodle Admins. Please. Thank you!

======

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Lind

Re: Newly hidden "Post a copy to all groups" checkbox

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
It may not be that easy, Nathan. However, I do not use Q & A forums, I use Standard forums. But it appears to me that the layout is consistent.

If you are using separate groups and you do not click on Advanced, and make a post, Moodle makes one post that allows all students to see it and reply to it. They reply that any student make is seen by all other students, and any student can reply to it.

If you click on Advanced, Post to all groups, then moodle creates a post in each group, meaning multiple posts. These multiple posts are then only seen by students within a group, somewhat allowing for private (non-shared) discussions. Yes, this gets complicated by whether or not you are using "visible groups" or "separate groups."

This being said, you might still be on to some good ideas. First, since in Standard forums, the Advanced button only shows three items, maybe there is no need for the Advance button. Maybe the three items should always be shown? But since I use only the Standard forum, there might be good reason for the Advanced button (really a hyperlink and not a button, sorry.)

I do think that the Moodle feature of allowing (the instructor) both global and private posts is good. I have used both. But there might be a better way to do this. In your suggestion, where do you suggest "Pinned" and "Send... without not time delay" go?

To pursue a suggestion such as yours, I think someone needs to map out the logic for all possible forum types and all possible ways of handling global and private group posting. So your idea might be good, but it might be that Moodle current UI for forums exists to consistently handle all kinds of situations. I don't know??? I am just trying to add some thoughts to your proposal. I cannot quickly think through the total logic right now.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nathan Lind -
@Rick, and anyone else who is interested, here is what you claimed:

"If you are using separate groups and you do not click on Advanced, and make a post, Moodle makes one post that allows all students to see it and reply to it. They reply that any student make is seen by all other students, and any student can reply to it."

Actually, this is not true. As my screenshots attached show, posting to "All participants" and not clicking Advanced, then "post a copy to all group" creates a post that does not belong to any group, and thus no students are able to reply to this post. It is essentially an announcement, and not interactive.

Post sent to "All participants"

------------------>>

logged in as sample student, student unable to reply due to no reply button (post does not belong to a group)
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Rick Jerz -
Nathan, it could be some settings, but I will continue to disagree with you, not because I don't like you or anything like that, but because in my experimenting when I log in as a student (as you appear to have done,) I get the ability to reply.

But here is what I did. I tried to repeat what I had done, and following your example, logging in as a student, I COULD NOT REPLY! My screen looked like yours.  This puzzled me. Why could I reply as a student before? Then, I realized that my forum had a cut-off date, which had passed. I changed the cutoff date to the future, repeated the process, and then, logged in as a student, I got the REPLY link and could reply. So, maybe you can't reply because the posting date has expired.

Yes, I do agree that the "group" icon disappears, but my interpretation is that this post is available to all groups, not just the one shown.

Well, we might need someone else to give this a try. I am using Moodle 3.9.

Also, I had thought more about the "Advanced" link (button), and pushing a copy of a post to all groups and making it behave as if you posted separately to each group might properly be called an "advanced" action. It seems more advanced to me than just making the post to all participants.

Let's continue the dialog.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nathan Lind -

Hi Rick and all others, I made a video to demonstrate this issue. 

https://www.loom.com/share/bd5d6ed6e7c8470e9c2081a25e3447fe

In reply to Nathan Lind

by Rick Jerz -
Okay, Nathan. Thanks.

I see some differences. In my Moodle 3.9, for a forum with sections, I see the word "sections." Students do not see the word "sections." This word, "sections" is a grouping. So, this leads me to ask how you have your forum set up. If you are using a grouping, maybe your student "Sam Student" is not in any grouping, so he is not allowed to reply.  He might be allowed to see the post, but not reply.

What seems obvious to me is that yours does not provide a reply, but mine does.  So there must be a difference in how we have our courses set up.  

I will attach a few screenshots.

Attachment Editing forum - Sections.png
Attachment sections.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

Students can't reply to discussion posted to all participants

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Nathan and Rick,

Regarding a teacher posting to 'All participants' and not ticking the box 'Post a copy to all groups', I investigated and found the same as Nathan, namely that students can view the post but not reply to it.

I searched in the Moodle tracker and came across MDL-68659, in which Andrew, a senior developer, explains the reasoning behind this behaviour.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Students can't reply to discussion posted to all participants

by Rick Jerz -
I might have the logic behind what is happening. Watch my video and see if you can reproduce the intended behavior. Right now, I believe that there is not a bug, but rather this is the intended design behavior.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nathan Lind -
Rick, you are on a completely different track from what I have reported. I reported an issue with Groups. You are using Groupings. Please let us focus on Groups.
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Rick Jerz -

I cannot agree with you, Nathan.  Groupings are just an extension of Groups, that provide the instructor to create different types of groups within a course.  If your course has only one set of groups, then a grouping might not make sense, and just pick "None" for grouping when editing the forum.  None essentially treat all your groups as one grouping.

So no, I do not believe that I am on an entirely different track.

Have you tried switching from "Separate Groups" to "Visible Groups?"  And if so, what did you learn?

Incidentally, I am not connected with any of the developers or Moodle headquarters, I am just a user like yourself.  So I am not trying to "defend" anyone, I am just trying to make some sense of these features.  However, I have used Moodle's forums since day one, and they seem to be very powerful.  But there are these somewhat "hidden" or non-obvious sets of settings.  Quite honestly, I never used "visible groups" until last semester.  And I have never made posts to "all participants."  But this discussion that you started has made me better understand these various ways of using forums.

Causing me to explore this, as you have, has made me even more convinced that there is no bug involved here, and that there is even more power in Moodle's forums.

It seems to me that if you want an instructor to make a post to all students and want students to be able to reply, just use visible groups.  Maybe you can explain more of what you are trying to accomplish. 

If you want the instructor to make a post and have all students be able to discuss it, then why are you using groups?  Just make a forum and don't use groups.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nathan Lind -

I will again try to explain the issue. 

For a physical analogy, imagine a teacher asked the class of 30 students to take 20 minutes in groups of 5 to go to different corners of the room or different parts of a building to discuss the same question or prompt. The groups are expected to do original work. 

Faculty want students to discuss a topic that the faculty provides to each of the groups. The same question for each group, but the faculty wants the discussion to be private and separate for each group so that they are not looking at each other‘s groups discussion. They want original thinking from each group. 

Visible groups will not work.

Faculty already routinely miss seeing the checkbox called “post a copy to all groups“ and now with that checkbox being hidden behind an even more obscure “advanced“ button which reloads the page, the situation will be even more challenging.

I think we need to make this type of posting to multiple groups easier, not more difficult (by hiding the “Post a copy  to all groups” checkbox), say with a button that presents when a forum is set to use Groups, that says something like: “Post to all my groups” or some more clear wording, or by defaulting to posting the prompt to each group. 

I believe it is reasonable for faculty to expect this kind of smooth and obvious functionality from an advanced learning management system in the year 2020. Especially when they see the words “all participants” and think that they are sending a prompt to each of their groups that will provide the option for them to reply. 

Having a learning management system that so easily breaks due to normal and reasonable behaviors by teachers is frustrating. 

As a related aside, I wish that Moodle would alert teachers when there are students in their course that are not assigned to a group. A forum will not work for a student not in a group when that forum is set to use groups.

I don’t know how else to explain this concern. I wish someone else would step up to confirm this really is a problem.

We have gotten lost in the weeds of groups versus groupings. 

One is not a substitute for the other. 

In reply to Nathan Lind

by Rick Jerz -
Hi Nathan, I understand you. And in fact, I am one of those instructors that you described in your paragraphs two and three. This is why I most routinely use "separate groups."

However, yes, I did discover that if I wanted my student groups to discuss the same topic of mine, there was this feature to "post to all groups." Cool, that what I always used. So I think that I know exactly what you mean.

Along the way, I also discovered that if I wanted to make a comment to all groups, and have it show up by itself, I could post to "All participants" (not post to all groups) and my comment would go to all. It never bothered me that students could not reply to this. In fact, if students could reply, this could (might) incorrectly get students discussing my open post instead of keeping discussions within their groups.  So, this is why I believe that not showing a "reply" when using separate groups was Moodle's correct behavior.

In my courses, under each topic, I always have an "Ask any question" forum.  It does not use groups.  The purpose of this forum is for any student (or group) to ask questions in an "open" forum.  All students see it, and all students can reply (and discuss.)

So far, no bug.  Just correct behavior from my perspective.

But, you do make a good point about exposing the "post a copy to groups." In fact, one could argue that all there are only 3 "advance" items (pinned, send with no delay, and post a copy to all groups) and that these should always be exposed.  You haven't mentioned "pinned" and "send with no delay" but clearly others could say "Why hide these?"

Well, you are not into Moodle's UI.  This method of hiding things instead of showing all things happens all over Moodle.  And one might say it happens consistently all over.  There are these "hidden" items that should always be exposed.  And I think that this becomes your main argument, if you don't mind me saying in my own words "Why is 'post a copy to all groups" always not shown?"  So, you have to convince the Moodle UI folks for this "feature request."  I still don't see it as a bug.  At best, a feature request.

But I can see the Moodle UI developers saying "no." They might argue that when a course has groups, the instructor is using a more advanced feature, and therefore "post to all groups" should not be shown, it could be confusing, and therefore it remains hidden under "Advanced."

One also must keep in mind that Moodle allows "visible" groups.  So Moodle needs to be careful what it shows when either visible or separate groups are used.

As you pointed out, earlier versions of Moodle (prior to 3.8 or some other earlier number) "post copy to all groups" was showing.  Yep, I seem to recall this too.  But somewhere between version 3.0 and 3.9 the UI developers have been making changes, which they believe add to Moodle's consistency and "ease of use."  Well, some of us don't agree.  I have seen this kind of discussion over the last several years, and I think I even have one or two feature requests in Tracker where I believed the old interface was better.

This UI stuff is always evolving and changing.  However, it appears to me that the Moodle UI team is very open to ideas.  In fact, at GlobalMoot, I recall Martin saying that the focus of Moodle 4.0 is with improving Moodle UI.  So we are all encouraged to continue making suggestions.

So where does this leave me?  1) Not a bug.  2) Yes, I would have no problem if all "Advanced items" always showed. 3) Until "post a copy to all groups" becomes always exposed, your instructors are going to have to remember to intentionally do this.  4) Moodle is not breaking  5) As you say "we have gotten lost in the weeds of groups versus groupings" support that when one is using groups (or groupings), it is fair to consider this "advanced." 6) Maybe someone else can step in.  7) Andrew Nicols, a person who I don't think I personally have ever met (but I really respect) has correctly said "this is a design feature" (meaning that when one posts to all participants with visible groups, a "reply" should not be allowed. 8) No, Moodle cannot warn the instructor that a student is not in a group.  Groups are used for all kinds of purposes, so expecting Moodle to know the instructor's purpose is unreasonable.  For example, I might want to create a group called "students with disabilities."  Having Moodle say "you have 35 students not in this group" is meaningless. Besides some of these students might be in other groups.  In my summer course, I had 3 groupings that contained 17 groups. "Groups" are an extrememly powerful feature of Moodle, unmatched by any other major LMS, and learning how to use them correctly takes time. I was a Moodle user for around 6 years before I got the courage to start using groups.  However, if you really want to know which students are not in certain groups, you could write some custom SQL to do whatever you need to do.  9) Sometimes it takes advanced instructors to use an advanced LMS.  Quite honestly, that is why some schools choose a different low-end LMS.  They don't want to confuse instructors (and their IT staff) with too many features.

Wow, sorry for my lengthy replies and a lot of numbers in the above paragraph!  I might still have some remaining energy.  Let's see what you and others think.

One more thing... I do see your comment to reopen MDL-68659.  Nope, I doubt that it will be opened as a "bug."  (Just my opinion.)  However, you might want to suggest that it be re-opened as an "improvement."  Sometimes this works.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Scott Krajewski -
Honestly it would be ideal if the forum module had options like the assignment module where admins could choose which settings appear in the advanced area. I'm sure that's a bit of UI work there. In the meantime, I agree that moving the "post a copy to all groups" out of advanced since it is a common feature and in my experience faculty don't go into the advanced area.
In reply to Nathan Lind

Re: "Post a copy to all groups" checkbox missing

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Nathan,

It can be very helpful to test things out on the Moodle Sandbox demo site, as you have done for your video. I use the site too, and in recreating a set-up, I sometimes realise other settings which can affect the result.

When testing with a forum set to separate groups, I also found that the checkbox 'Post a copy to all groups' was missing. I then realised that I needed to set up a few groups in the course, and having done so, found 'Post a copy to all groups' displayed as expected.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Nathan Lind -
I wish to reopen this Tracker, if others would support that.
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-68659
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Nathan,

I would not support reopening that issue because that issue was describing a different problem. The affected versions described in that issue included 3.5 which means it was raised prior to the introduction of the new interface.

I would support the creation of a new issue to add a new "Post to all groups" option in the new user interface.

I have created MDL-69541 for this purpose.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Rick Jerz -
Cool Andrew, and very generous of you to create the Tracker item. I have added some words of support to this Tracker item.

Somewhere along the way, someone might want to add a few more words to the "?" helpers when editing forum settings. The word about posting to "All participants" might need to be improved a little. Sure, the "?" help is supposed to be simple, but still, maybe some room for improvement.