Feedback wanted about our Moodle Teaching Basics MOOC

Feedback wanted about our Moodle Teaching Basics MOOC

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 19
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

For anyone who wants to learn the basics of teaching with Moodle, a free, self-paced MOOC is now available - Moodle Teaching Basics.

We would love to hear what you think of the course, if anything is unclear, or you have any ideas for improvements. Please let us know by replying to this discussion.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Feedback wanted about our Moodle Teaching Basics MOOC

by Valentin Famelart -

Hi,

I'm working on Moodle since 3 years, and I'm about to begin a with a new employer. I'd like to share this self-paced course to all teachers in my new workplace. But I think they won't use it, since it's in english.

So I'd like to translate this course in French, and then share it with them, one way or another. Is this possible ? If so, is there a way to access the course in edit mode ?

Have a nice day !

Valentin

In reply to Valentin Famelart

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Valentin and thanks for your comments. There is a plan to have volunteers translating the course with special translator accounts at some point in the future and you will be very welcome to be a French translator. In the meantime however, do encourage them to join our Learn Moodle 3.9 Basics MOOC starting on 5 October because althought that is in English anyone can ask questions in their own language, such as French and others (y compris moi!) can reply in the same language. Participants will be able to create their own practice courses which can be in French etc and they can do all the shared activities in French (or other languages) as well.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Valentin Famelart -
Hy Mary, thanks for your answer smile

I'll keep an eye open in case you need translators in french, and I'll recommend the Mooc if the need arise, then ^^

Have a nice day !
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alain Goyé -

Hi Mary,

Though having used and managed a Moodle instance for a few years I'm discovering interesting and inspiring things in this course.
Like Valentin, I wish we had it in French for our teachers, and I'll be happy to volonteer to translate parts of it when it's planned.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Christian Kanteng -
Hello, very nice course and well organized, good for everyone. I was using moodle3.8 in the past and I just upgrade to 3.9 then I find explaination of what is new in moodle 3.9 incorporeted in this Moodle teaching Basics. Thanks for the update and wait to start Learn Moodle 3.9 Basics Mooc to refrech my mind.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tish Kirkland -

Hi,

I'd like to know how you set this up please (if possible), specifically, restricting access to an activity until a payment has been made via PayPal.

Paypal linked to activity completion

Kind regards,

Tish

In reply to Helen Foster

by RANJITH KUMAR K R -
Very helpful for me as I have never used some activities like the 'lesson'. I got the motivation and the documents to try this. Thank you so much.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Anish Krishnan -

Thank you for the moodle basics. The suggested tasks really helped me to get experience. Thank you.

In reply to Helen Foster

Ri: Feedback wanted about our Moodle Teaching Basics MOOC

by Omar Lazzari -

Can i help you translate in italian, subtitles and transcriptions of youtube's video?

In reply to Omar Lazzari

Re: Ri: Feedback wanted about our Moodle Teaching Basics MOOC

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Omar.You are most welcome to help translate the videos. Unfortunately since YouTube changed the way translated subtitles are uploaded it has become more difficult for the community to contribute them. However, if you want to continue then please translate the words from the PDFs of the transcripts into Italian and type them into completely plain .txt files. When you have done that , send me a private message on here smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Andrei Boris -

Duplicate entry :

Duplicate entry

In reply to Andrei Boris

by Mary Cooch -
Hello! Thanks very much - I have just corrected it!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alan Coe -
It was a good course! Mary's excellent voice, great scriptwriting, great content, great design and layout. Good empathy with the learner to know how to progress at a good pace. And also it dawned on me that you can do most things in moodle that you can do in Articulate Rise. That was interesting to realize. *Moodle is an authoring tool.* I like how some of the questions were kind of hard. Questions that are too easy is a turn-off. I like questions that even have tricky answers that almost seem right. So these questions were good. Although sometimes when there's 4 options to a question and they're all correct, it would be good to throw in one incorrect one so the user chooses 4 out of the 5. This is because sometimes the learner, when answering, sees that option #1 is correct, and option #2 is correct, they then can guess that they're all going to be correct, and they're right. So I'd like to see one option that isn't correct in those. If that makes sense. The Mount Orange site, and the course pointing the learners to go to it, is a very effective and innovative way to teach.

1) This may need updating: the activity checkboxes no longer have a dotted line. And that is also in a quiz question. I can tell you exactly where if you want. The narrow filled-in grey checkbox types that go to green, and the fatter self check, non-filled-in, whose outlines go from grey to green.

2) There are a number of mentions of the recycle bin, but on MoodleCloud I was never able to find a recycle bin. I'd be deleting stuff, expecting to retrieve it out of the recycle bin, seeing no bin, and hoping for command-z undo. LOL.

3) Tutorial mentions progressing ones moodle knowledge through moodle partners. I don't see how that's correct. Moodle partners appear to be a service to create moodle sites for people for money, and have no apparent outreach for people to learn moodle. Progressing one's moodle knowledge appears to be with the courses at learn.moodle.org and Mount Orange School so I don't think moodle partners should be part of the tutorial. Unless I'm missing something.

4) Lastly, I went through all these videos on youtube before I knew that they were on youtube to be in the context of this course. I found the playlist on youtube search engine, and watched them not knowing they were meant to be seen in a course. Well it's not like it hurt me or anything. It's good I watched them twice. But wish I'd known that they were supposed to be watched in the context of a course. But this is really no big deal. I soon found the course. I guess in my head, I initially I went to youtube to learn moodle. And thought moodle made learning videos to be found and watched on youtube. But it worked out and they do hold up as 'standalone.' 
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Alan and thanks very much for your useful feedback! A few comments of my own:
  • Re the questions where all are correct - good point - although I actually deliberately made some all correct because from my own experience, when I did quizzes with several options I always assumed one was wrong, and then obviously didn't get the question 100% correct. Perhaps you have greater experience of learners than I do and perhaps your suggestion works better? The course is currently being revised for Moodle 4.0 where it will appear on Moodle Academy, so all comments are welcome.

1. Re the dotted lines, checkboxes oh yes - I thought I had updated those but obviously not everywhere - thanks! (If you want to be doubly helpful you could tell me where you found the out of date info and I will correct it now.)
  2. Sadly the recycle bin is not a feature of MoodleCloud. It is probably worth mentioning that in the course, as I assume it isn't already. (I can't remember!)
  3. Moodle Partners, or our Certified Service Providers, provide training as well as hosting, so they are definitely a next step to improve your skills. Not all Partners provide training but you can search/filter  for training online and face to face on the site https://moodle.com/services/ ; Also now of course, we have Moodle Academy with more free courses.
  4. I made the videos for the course but naturally as Moodle is open and we want everything to be freely available, we put them on YouTube as well. So you can either watch them as part of the course (and indeed download them) or just google and find them on YouTube.

Do try one of the other courses if you haven't already - your feedback is much appreciated!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
Hi Mary, thanks for the feedback on the feedback. Because you went the extra mile and included transcript links to the videos, I could find the parts fairly easy. I think with the videos youtube has a way to overlay a note, so that a person doesn't have to re-edit the video and re-upload. Maybe "not on moodlecloud" for 3 seconds.
—————————————
Issue: activity completion checkboxes.
Where: Book Activity called Upload files and display materials; page 12 “Track Progress”. Maybe mention grey to green. And difference in look of checkboxes the users check; and boxes that auto check on completion:
Quote:
• A box with a solid line means the learner must manually mark it complete.
• A box with a dotted line means the item is marked complete automatically when the learner completes it.

——————————
Issue: Activity completion check boxes.
Where: Add Content Quiz. Question 5
Quote:
A box with a solid line border means

A box with a dotted line border means

A box near an item on your course page means? (Alan note: This one not sure.)
——————
Issue: Recycle bin isn't in moodlecloud.

Where: Video: Editing course sections

Transcript: “To delete a section, we click the bin icon from the menu on the right of the section. Remember this will also delete any activities in that section, but you can get them back again from the Recycle bin link in the gear menu. This usually only appears once you've deleted something, depending on your administrator settings.”

——————
Issue: Recycle bin isn’t in moodlecloud.

Where: Video: what are the edit icons?

Transcript: The bin is for deleting an item. If we delete something by mistake, we can find it again from the Recycle bin in the gear menu top right. Here are any recently deleted activities and resources and we click Restore to put it back into the course.
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks very much Alan!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alan Coe -
Issue: minor typo.
Where: Section "Add Content" in book "Upload files and display materials." book page 12.
what it is: This is know as Activity completion or Completion tracking.
what it should be: This is known...
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks! I just corrected it.