Book activity is marked automatically as completed if someone directly reads just the last chapter.

Book activity is marked automatically as completed if someone directly reads just the last chapter.

by sharad Kumar -
Number of replies: 2

I am using Moodle 3.9+ (Build: 20200626)

I have a Book activity which is set for "Activity Completion" and student can not mark himself the activity as completed. He as to view the entire book contents.

The book is having 10 chapters

Book activity is marked automatically as completed if someone directly reads just the last chapter and skips all chapters.

Please hep me in 
resolving this issue. Can we make it compulsory to read all chapters or atleast can i remove the hyperlinks from table of contents.

Regards,

Sharad

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sharad Kumar

Re: Book activity is marked automatically as completed if someone directly reads just the last chapter.

by sharad Kumar -
At least for now I could disable the hyperlinking of the chapters in Table of Contents of the book

File name /mod/book/locallib.php

commented following code

$toc .= html_writer::link(new moodle_url('view.php',
array('id' => $cm->id, 'chapterid' => $ch->id)),
$title, array('title' => s($titleunescaped), 'class' => $cssclass));

and added new code in place of above code
$toc .= html_writer::tag('normal', $title, array('class' => $cssclass));

Now the TOC is created without hyperlink and one has to reach to the last chapter by reading all the chapters to mark the book activity complete.

I know this is not the right way, but had no other choice.
In reply to sharad Kumar

Re: Book activity is marked automatically as completed if someone directly reads just the last chapter.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sharad,

Another option would be to have a short quiz after the book with easy-to-answer questions about several chapters of the book. This ensures that the student doesn't just view each chapter of the book without reading the text. wink

Average of ratings: Useful (2)