New Install - Moodle 3.9.1 - opcache.enable warning

Re: New Install - Moodle 3.9.1 - opcache.enable warning

by Keith VW -
Number of replies: 3

PHP Info Page - Got it, I was on a long chat session with them and they escalated to Tier 2 so hopefully that will help get this resolved.

So just to make sure I have this, the PHP Info is showing my server PHP engine and echoing the information into Moodle. So based on this info, it shows that OPcache is "enabled" but not fully implemented and can't find the Zend Engine. In short a pure server configuration issue.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your coaching and patience. I will continue on with Bluehost and let you know the outcome.  Thanks again Leon.

PHP INFO

________________________________________________________________________________

"on the PHP info page do you get the Zend OPcache section? "

These are all of the Zend references on the info page. Other than these there is no reference to Zend and the only reference to opcache in in the Configure Command section showing '--enable-opcache' '--

There is no reference to Opcode Caching as shown in your link.

In reply to Keith VW

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle's PHP info page calls a PHP function to report PHP's configuration. You can try this yourself: create a file in the Moodle source code directory called info.php with two lines:

<?php
phpinfo();

Then when you access https://your.website.url/info.php you'll see the page. (Don't leave info.php there, the information could be useful to attackers).

There are two things needed for OPcache:

1. The OPcache extension must be loaded in PHP: normally zend_extension=opcache in php.ini.
  2. Once loaded it must be enabled: normally opcache.enable=1 in php.ini.

If you don't see the Zend OPcache heading in PHP info then it's not loaded. Because the server is managed this might be loaded and enabled in a different way but that's for the hosting provider to explain.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Keith VW -

Ok....so here it comes, the HUGE Apology!

To start I do truly appreciate all of your input, advice and guidance and I sincerely apologize for wasting yours and the community's time. 

It appears, after escalating to Tier 2 support at Bluehost, it appears that OPcache is not available on shared servers, only on Dedicated or VPS (Virtual Private Server). You would think that they would let the front line support know this or at the least put it in the knowledgebase.

At this point there is no OPcache in my immediate future and we can put this topic out to pasture.

Leon, thanks again for the education, you have been very generous with you time.

In reply to Keith VW

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

No apology necessary – the only way to get to this point was through these questions, and we got an answer albeit not the one we wanted.

Plus OPcache support will be something to consider when evaluating hosting services in future.