Best lightweight webserver for one Moodle 3.9 site ?

Best lightweight webserver for one Moodle 3.9 site ?

by Walter Byrd -
Number of replies: 10

If you wanted to install a single Moodle 3.9 website, and no other site running on the web server, and if you had to conserve resources,  what web server would you use?

I don't think you would have much choice for the database: mysql or MariaSQL.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Walter Byrd

Re: Best lightweight webserver for one Moodle 3.9 site ?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Not sure anyone could really answer that question ...

'lightweight' ... folks would say apache with fast-cgi or php-fmp or nginx ... smallest foot print for web service ... and one could debate mariadb vs mysql ... but what really counts is how the moodle is used + number of users + frequency of use + modules (components, like quiz) and how 'large' they are.   By 'large' I don't mean necessarily the numbers of questions but how they would be presented + what those looked like.

So think you're gonna have to throw out some numbers ... guesses if you don't know ... and specifics on usage.

number of users.

frequency of access - used in a F-2-F with the users above?

Let's not forget space ... gonna have lots of assignments students submit?   Like what file types ... audio? video?

Soooo ... my 2 cents.

But ... here's official:

https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Installing_Moodle#Hardware

https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Performance_recommendations

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Walter Byrd -
I am looking at VPS hosting. I am considering a low end VPS plan, with 1GB ram, and 1CPU core.
Technically, that should be enough. Technically, I think that should be enough. But it's not a lot. Would like to use resources as efficiently as possible.
In reply to Walter Byrd

by Ken Task -

It's true what is said ... 'you get what you pay for'.

Where ever/however, check into your ability to acquire more ... space/memory/processing etc. when choosing provider/hosting.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Walter Byrd -
My understanding is that Apache can easily handle several websites at once. But I figured that with just one website, with moderate use, I could use a more lightweight web server.
In reply to Walter Byrd

by Ken Task -

It's not just Apache ...  Moodle on a standalone - all services on one server - includes DB server.   It's a balancing act between apache and DB server resources.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Walter Byrd

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
If your plan is to get the maximum out of a small machine, as opposed to serving big loads which means big machines, study how it is done in the MoodleBox. It is tuned to run on Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ (4 core, 512 MB RAM) as well as on the latest Pi 4 Model B 8 GB (4 core, 8 GB RAM). The code is on GitHub, and you see the result in its ISO.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ken Task -

Question ... where can one host a Raspberry - remotely?  Providers?  And how much is that hosting?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Ken

A popular hoster in my region offered hosted RPi and then discontinued. I can imagine why. Per device the hosting becomes expensive because they have to handle a piece of hardware for each server as opposed to VPS technology. And the I/O performance of the SD card in RPi is limited compared to the SSD "farms" feeding VPS. That said the Moodle Bench results of RPi are surprising: http://www.syndrega.ch/blog/#benchmarking-moodlebox-on-different-raspberry-pi-models.

No. My suggestion earlier was to study MoodleBox to find out how it gets the maximum outof the RPi. If you are interested, I can give you remote access to one. Drop me a PM.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ken Task -

Thanks for offer.   Have to decline.  I still have too many things that require my attention to play much at all! :|

'SoS', Ken