Multiple Choice Multiple Answers : Custom Answer Percentages

Re: Multiple Choice Multiple Answers : Custom Answer Percentages

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the quiz I made for you on my Moodle test site. I hope you noticed that I used 2 different question types (both non-core): Word Select and Gapfill. I have corrected this on my site.

1.- "I notice that in your example if I select all four correct answers and one incorrect answer, I get 3 points out of four."

That is the expected/usual behaviour of that type of question. It seems very harsh on the student to score zero points even when they got 3 correct answers out of 4. But I expect you have your reasons.

2.-"Ideally, I'd like to be [...] have a question type that only permits the correct number of selections."

The Gapfill question does just that.

3.- One question type which would exactly do what you want, i.e. give a score of zero if there is anything wrong in the answer (not all correct items selected OR one or more wrong items selected) is my own contributed Regexp question type. It's powerful but there is a learning curve. I have added an example to the "Jason Quiz" on my test site, which you might like to explore. Try to enter all kind of (wrong) answers to see what kind of feedback you get.

Looking forward to your comments.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Joseph,

Thanks again for your time and consideration and my apologies for the delay in my response. I was away for several days and then busy for a few more thereafter. wink I've just had another look at the quiz you set up and see that the first example (Gapfill) will work exactly as desired. I want to:

1. Be able to award points for correctly selected items and permit those items to be selected in any order
2. Apply penalties for incorrect items
3. Prevent students from selecting more than a specified number of items

It seems that the Gapfill question type will allow me to accomplish all of those without much difficulty. I also like the Regexp question type and don't have it installed on our site so I will install it and give it a try as well.

Thanks again and happy Moodling smile

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your feedback, better late than never.smile

I've attached to this post the 2 questions that you liked in my online test site quiz for you.

Be aware that my REGEXP question type needs a fairly steep learning curve!

Joseph