Multiple Choice Multiple Answers : Custom Answer Percentages

Multiple Choice Multiple Answers : Custom Answer Percentages

by Tracey Fitzpatrick -
Number of replies: 13

Dear Fellow Moodlers

I am using version 3.4.5

Is is possible to add custom answer percentages to a multiple choice multiple answer quiz? Default positive and negative percentages in increments of 5 are available ( eg. 100%, 95%, 90% etc ) - which limits the quiz to 20 correct answers, 5% being the lowest positive percentage available. 

Is there a way to customise these percentages? 

For example, instead of 10 correct answers all of equal value (10% to each to total 100%) I would like to weight the answers in terms of priority, so therefore allocate percentages in a custom weighting ( e.g. 4+4+7+7+9+9+12+12+18+18 = 100% ) 

రేటింగుల సగటు: -
In reply to Tracey Fitzpatrick

Re: Multiple Choice Multiple Answers : Custom Answer Percentages

by Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers బొమ్మ Particularly helpful Moodlers బొమ్మ Plugin developers బొమ్మ Testers బొమ్మ Translators బొమ్మ
Hi Tracey,
It might be easier to answer your question if you provided a couple of real-world examples of the type of question you have in mind (together with the expected answers).
PS.- There is no such thing as a "multiple choice multiple answer quiz" I suppose you meant "multiple choice multiple answer question".
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tracey Fitzpatrick -
Many thanks for your reply,  yes question, not quiz.  I have been looking at ways to weight multiple answer questions within Moodle to reflect scenarios in which there are many right answers, but the student can score more highly by choosing more of the 'better' answers. 

For example ( this is a made up question below ) if I ask a question about treatments to consider for severe acne, the possible answers (and weighting) could be: 

Topical Retinoids 17%

Topical Antibiotics 17%

Aselaic Acid 15%

Antibiotic Tablets 15%

Benzoyl Peroxide 14%

Isotretinoin Tablets 10%

Hormone Therapies 6%

Comedone Extractor 2%

Chemical Peels 2%

Photodynamic Therapy 2%

Tanning Beds (None)

Vitamin Supplements (None)

The current default grade percentages available are in increments of 5%'s and I wondered if there was a way to edit or adapt these to use more flexibly?

In reply to Tracey Fitzpatrick

by Dominique Bauer -
Documentation writers బొమ్మ Particularly helpful Moodlers బొమ్మ Plugin developers బొమ్మ
I would use the Ordering question type with the Grading type set to Relative to correct position:

Try it here ↗

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers బొమ్మ Particularly helpful Moodlers బొమ్మ Plugin developers బొమ్మ Testers బొమ్మ Translators బొమ్మ
I was going to suggest using that question type, which seems to fit the bill. Well done, Dominique!

by Jason Hollowell -
Particularly helpful Moodlers బొమ్మ
I'm jumping into this discussion with what I think is a similar inquiry. I've experimented with various question types (including non-core types) and am having difficulty achieving the following:

I want to ask a question that has multiple correct answers (e.g. Select the four key terms related to Global Relations.) that are to be selected from a list that contains multiple distractor (incorrect) options.

I understand (from unsuccessful experimentation) that I cannot use drag and drop options as they have a 1 to 1 relationship. (i.e. each item must be dragged to a specific location).

I also understand that I cannot use the multiple choice option with "Multiple answers allowed" because - I want students to get partial credit (from the point total for each item) based upon the correct selections and no credit for incorrect selections. I also do not want them to be able to select more than the specified number of options and still receive credit. The multiple choice question type, as far as I can see, does not allow for what I want to accomplish.

If I have 10 options, from which 4 are correct, in a multiple choice question with "Multiple answers allowed", the student can simply select all options and get the question correct. This behavior makes the "Multiple answers allowed" function seem meaningless...I know I can assign negative values but in the above scenario that does not calculate the point score for the item as desired either...

I thought I'd found a solution in the "OU Multiple Response Question" type...however, that one does not work as I had hoped either. In the same scenario (as explained above), if a student selects 6 items, for example, from my list of ten with four of them being correct and two, of course, being incorrect, they get a partial score...which, incidentally, I can't seem to figure out the calculation for....I think it is simply subtracting the fractional point score for each correct answer from the total possible...thus:

If I have 4 correct answers with a point total of 4 and a student selects 6 options, 4 being correct and 2 being incorrect, the student gets 2 points....when I want them to get a zero because they selected more than they were supposed to. 

Maybe there is an obvious question type option that I am overlooking. Also, I wonder if the original inquiry here is not similar to what I have outlined above? Doesn't the ordering type require options to be in specific positions? Tracey has two options that are worth 17%. Can those two options be in either of the first two positions or do they have to be in specific locations?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and my apologies for the confusing nature of the inquiry.

Jason

P.S. Sorry...after posting all of this...I'm starting to realize (hopefully correctly) that the matching type might be an option...but the one to one relationship still exists...🤔
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Jason,

If I have understood you correctly, I can think of at least 2 (non-core) question types which would answer your problem.

Try this short quiz I made for you on my Moodle test site at https://www.rezeau.org/moodle/mod/quiz/view.php?id=60

p_word Student01!

Hope that helps,

Joseph

by Jason Hollowell -
Joseph,

Thank you very much for preparing the sample. I like the look and feel of it. Unfortunately, however, it doesn't quite accomplish what I want but it's very close. I notice that in your example if I select all four correct answers and one incorrect answer, I get 3 points out of four. Ideally, I'd like to be able to set it up such that any selection of more than the required number of items results in a zero score....or, even better, have a question type that only permits the correct number of selections. I'll experiment with this type though...I have it installed on our site but had never used it. కళ్ళు చికిలిస్తూ

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Jason

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the quiz I made for you on my Moodle test site. I hope you noticed that I used 2 different question types (both non-core): Word Select and Gapfill. I have corrected this on my site.

1.- "I notice that in your example if I select all four correct answers and one incorrect answer, I get 3 points out of four."

That is the expected/usual behaviour of that type of question. It seems very harsh on the student to score zero points even when they got 3 correct answers out of 4. But I expect you have your reasons.

2.-"Ideally, I'd like to be [...] have a question type that only permits the correct number of selections."

The Gapfill question does just that.

3.- One question type which would exactly do what you want, i.e. give a score of zero if there is anything wrong in the answer (not all correct items selected OR one or more wrong items selected) is my own contributed Regexp question type. It's powerful but there is a learning curve. I have added an example to the "Jason Quiz" on my test site, which you might like to explore. Try to enter all kind of (wrong) answers to see what kind of feedback you get.

Looking forward to your comments.

by Jason Hollowell -
Joseph,

Thanks again for your time and consideration and my apologies for the delay in my response. I was away for several days and then busy for a few more thereafter. కళ్ళు చికిలిస్తూ I've just had another look at the quiz you set up and see that the first example (Gapfill) will work exactly as desired. I want to:

1. Be able to award points for correctly selected items and permit those items to be selected in any order
2. Apply penalties for incorrect items
3. Prevent students from selecting more than a specified number of items

It seems that the Gapfill question type will allow me to accomplish all of those without much difficulty. I also like the Regexp question type and don't have it installed on our site so I will install it and give it a try as well.

Thanks again and happy Moodling చిర్నవ్వు

Jason

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your feedback, better late than never.చిర్నవ్వు

I've attached to this post the 2 questions that you liked in my online test site quiz for you.

Be aware that my REGEXP question type needs a fairly steep learning curve!

Joseph

by Dominique Bauer -
Documentation writers బొమ్మ Particularly helpful Moodlers బొమ్మ Plugin developers బొమ్మ
Hello Jason,

If I have 4 correct answers with a point total of 4 and a student selects 6 options, 4 being correct and 2 being incorrect, the student gets 2 points....when I want them to get a zero because they selected more than they were supposed to.

Why not use the Multiple choice question with 25% for each of the correct answers and -50% for each of the incorrect answers. Therefore, one incorrect answer cancels two correct answers. This simple, perhaps a little harsh*, marking scheme will be easily understood by students. In the example above, students would get zero. Doesn't this marking scheme correspond to what you want?

I also suggest not to set the "Maximum mark" to 4 (on the "Editing quiz" page), as this might suggest to students that there are four correct answers. Instead, set it to 1 (or 10 or 100).

* Here, the harshness of the marking scheme is adjusted with the value of the negative mark for incorrect answers. -100% is the most severe: an incorrect answer cancels four correct answers. 0% is not severe enough: an incorrect answer does not cancel any correct answer. A value between 0% and -100% is more or less severe depending on whether it approaches or moves away from -100%.

by Jason Hollowell -
Dominique,

Thank you very much for your time and detailed explanation. I experimented with some schemes like the one you have outlined here but I have questions (well actually this is for a teacher at my school) that have different numbers of options (some, for example, have 15 options) which means each one would have to be fine tuned to work as desired...and, given the large number of options from which students are to select, I'm not even sure if it would work as desired.

If I could get the drag and drop into text option to allow multiple correct answers per each specific location, I think I could accomplish what I am working toward...but that, I'm sure, will require some time looking at the underlying code to see if it's even possible.

Ideally, some way to limit the number of items selected would enable me to control how many answers a student can select. This would then alleviate the need to come up with somewhat difficult to manage calculation schemes. I'll experiment some more and report back.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Jason

by Tracey Fitzpatrick -
Thank you Joseph & Dominique - where there is a clear order/ranking this will fit the bill perfectly. 

On the standard Multiple Choice question do you know of any way to easily edit the default percentages available? ( see screengrab ) Currently the defaults allow for 1 - 10 correct answers and then 20 correct answers ( 5% X 20 = 100% ) but nothing in between 11 and 19. In a scenario in which there are 11 or more correct answers, is it possible to expand the list of percentages?