Tracking "used" questions from Question Bank

Tracking "used" questions from Question Bank

by Abhijit M -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers

Is there a way to track which questions from the Question Bank have been used in which Quiz?

Is there a plugin or a setting to do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abhijit M

Re: Tracking "used" questions from Question Bank

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I suspect the answer is no. It as something I wanted years ago when I was making extensive use of quiz.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Lots of people seem to be asking for this recently. I don't know if there is yet a really clear Tracker issue for this feature request. (If not, someone should make one.)

It is mostly not difficult to implement. The biggest difficulty in computing "Where a question is used" is when a quiz picks questions at random from the question bank.

The other thing to decide is where within Moodle this information should be displayed, and how it should be presented. Suggestions welcome.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Abhijit M -
Picture of Core developers
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-49067
This issue exists.

A menu entry can be added in the menu Actions->Edit displayed for each question. The entry can be called "Question Usage in Quizzes".

Not sure, but a wild guess suggestion:
Add a question-usage table, with a foreign key per question , foreign key per quiz instance, and (may be) key per quiz type.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

It seems that this would be a userful feature.  However, Tim, you do point out the problem with questions that "might" be picked.

So there seems to be two types of questions that can be asked:

1) Where has this question been used?

2) Where might this question be used?

Maybe both of these questions can be part of the question's "edit" menu (see graphic.)

For #1, my guess is that the report would show the course and the quiz name (within the course.)

For #2, this (to me) seems harder.  The report could be identical to #1.  But finding the "where used" would use the question's category instead of the question's id to take care of questions that might be randomly selected.

I think that I would be satisfied with Course and Quiz, but some people might want to take this to the "student" level, as in "Which students have had this question."

Whoever writes the code might try to satisfy #2, and then add to the report a column for "Used" if the question has been used by any student.  This is another way of handling both #1 and #2.  I think in the Edit menu the addition of a "Where used?" link would be sufficient.

Attachment Where to add feature.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)