Troublesome Knowledge Study

Troublesome Knowledge Study

by Christopher Ozuna -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, Moodle in English!

My name is Chris I'm a Learning Designer at a Cal State Channel Islands as well as a PhD student in education at UC Santa Barbara. A colleague and I are working on a study on "troublesome knowledge" concepts in online learning and we'd love any input you can share. Troublesome Knowledge concepts are things that come up in teaching people how to teach online: our study is looking to gather a set of experiences that instructional designers such as yourselves have seen. We're specifically looking for responses from people who work as instructional designers in some capacity at a higher education institution. This survey isn't specific to Moodle, but your experience with Moodle, and teaching others how to use Moodle is certainly relevant!

If you're interested, please check out the link below for a description of the study, the informed consent form and the survey itself. No prior knowledge of troublesome knowledge required, and your responses are anonymous. Thanks in advance for your time, and let me know if you have any questions!

Troublesome Knowledge Survey

Thanks!

-Chris
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher Ozuna

Re: Troublesome Knowledge Study

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is what you are referring to as 'Troublesome Knowledge' the same think that some other people call 'Threshold concepts'?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Christopher Ozuna -
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your question! "Troublesome Knowledge" is an idea nested within "Threshold Concepts." We encountered the troublesome knowledge framework in the threshold concepts literature, and we're focusing on the specific types described by Perkins (1999). So the two ideas are definitely related, but there is a slight difference. Troublesome knowledge refers to concepts that seem alien or counter-intuitive when first encountered. Threshold concepts are ideas that have the potential to fundamentally change/deepen a person's understanding of something once they are learned.

We've been receiving some very interesting and fascinating stories so far regarding designers'/technologists' experiences. We'd love your contribution and if there is anyone else in your network that you think we should hear from, we'd be grateful if you'd pass this along to them.

Thanks!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Christopher Ozuna

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thank you very much for explaining.