How to change the Gradebook?

How to change the Gradebook?

by Adam Nielsen -
Number of replies: 4

I would like to write a plugin that changes the behavior of the look from the overall Gradebook.

At the moment, if a user opens up the Gradebook, all his courses are listed. I would like that the courses are sorted by course category.

I found in the docs that its very easy to create a custom Gradebook Report: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Gradebook_reports

However, I was wondering if I could somehow modify the existing overall Gradebook. How would I approach this, without modifying the core Moodle file?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Nielsen

Re: How to change the Gradebook?

by Adam Nielsen -

Well I guess Moodle is not designed so that one can modify the existing Gradebook Report, right? Instead, I just have to create my onw Gradebook.

In reply to Adam Nielsen

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Courses are probably sorted by ID...Newest courses on top? Probably. I don't dig that deep...
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Adam Nielsen -
Yeah my question is not about the specific details. I was just wondering if it is possible to modify the existing "overall Gradebook" page. At the moment I only know how to create a new Gradebook report, but I have no clue how to modify the core "overall Gradebook". I assume its not possible?
In reply to Adam Nielsen

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
You can move things around in the gradebook. You can hide things. You can add manual grade items. You can categorize. But for the overall gradebook, no...not that I know of. Long ago and far away, my (previous) agency added a link on the profile page to a 'transcript' report which we built into core. And then we were stuck on 1.9.4 for a really long time (until 2014? 2015? 2.x was a revelation!). You don't want that. Being stuck on an old version is ugly. You can't get much support. Everyone tells you to upgrade. You end up with bruises on your forehead (from banging your head on the desk every day).

Later, we used configurable reports, which can include a block to the 'transcript' anywhere you like. That works pretty well. We had some hard core organization and course policy to make sure it all worked. Configurable reports are pretty flexible but you must know SQL or have someone who does. If you use custom plugins, sometimes the connections are weird (facetoface, for example, is a total mind bender). And to get the sql to work, you must understand the basic data structure. My eye is twitching right know...I know too much about the data structure...

Check out Configurable Reports or AdHoc Reports. There are some report options in CR that don't require sql, but it sounds like you want complicated...complicated requires sql.