Remove progress bar and % from free Moodle Mobile app?

Remove progress bar and % from free Moodle Mobile app?

by Bobby Deetz -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

I've done my best to search for the answer to this one, but we are stuck and it's rather urgent. We need to have Activity Completion in one of our New Student Orientation courses for the Instructors to use behind-the-scenes. We do *not* want the students to see the progress of their course or % on their dashboards. I was able to remove it from the web, but we cannot figure out how to hide it on Moodle. 

We are on Moodle 3.8 and using the free version of Moodle Mobile 3.9.2.

I can see Course completion from this page: Administration / Mobile app / Mobile features and have tried to disable this feature, but I guess I can only do one at a time? And it seems to make no difference. 

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks,

Bobby

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bobby Deetz

Re: Remove progress bar and % from free Moodle Mobile app?

by Bobby Deetz -
I'll add to my post in case this is a better question: We have a site using Restrict Access based upon groups for viewing resources and doing activities. A student in one group is completing all of the available activities, but the course completion is telling them they are not complete. We think this is because that can't get to the content we have prevented them from seeing. Is there a way to have Completion Tracking respect what we have set through Restrict Access? Otherwise, I have to get this progress bar turned off for the students. We used the CSS trick in the browser, but the app is showing it and alarming the students. Thanks.
In reply to Bobby Deetz

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Bobby,

unfortunately the only way to hide the progress bar in the app without changing Moodle core code is with a remote theme (CSS), but that feature is only available for Premium sites.

The "Course completion" disabled feature only hides the Course Completion tab in the tabs at the top of the course, but the progress bar is still displayed. It basically hides what in web is displayed in the Course Completion block.

In case you're interested, here you'll find more info about the plans:

In reply to Bobby Deetz

by Eric Phetteplace -
For posterity: we finally resolved this by signing up for the Premium app. I created a {moodle root}/local/mobile.css file and referenced it with the mobilecssurl setting. Because there's no real documentation on how to target specific components and the example themes do not discuss the progress bar, I had to repeatedly rename the URL by appending a version hash "#1" "#2" etc to it to keep trying new CSS approaches. It seemed like you also had to log out and back in to see the fresh styles. Finally, this CSS worked:

.core-progress-bar
progress,
.core-progress-text {
display: none !important;
}

I'm not sure how much of that is necessary but this was the first thing that actually worked. The Moodle Mobile Themes doc is useful but doesn't list all the components or how target them with selectors, so I looked at the mobile app's github repo to figure that out.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)