Blank html is not just

Re: text direction code added in 3.9

by Theo Hughes -
Number of replies: 0
Hi,

I've seen the snippet editor and I'm using it for one particular case that I have i.e. inserting manual Glossary entries - though I haven't ended up doing that much yet. I think I'll also use it for links because the regular link button doesn't allow things like specifying alt, title etc. (which really, it should because of accessibility etc.)

I've not used the Generico filter, but it seems to be similar to snippet.

Neither of them relate to the "dir" issue.

For me, they don't really resolve the styling issue either. For example, I'm not going to enter each heading as a "snippet". I type away and then I want to style something as a heading. I would have to then take the heading text, open the snippet dialogue, and insert into the snippet. Even clunkier with larger blocks of text, spans etc. I just want something to style a span that's as easy as clicking the "B" button for bold. Possible to use snippet, I just don't find it very "workflow friendly".

I think snippet is great for the sort of thing it's best for (where I might want multiple attributes etc. e.g. for the Glossary entry where I want a "title" attribute as well) I just think it's overkill for simple "styling".

For example, in styles I have my own heading style and I just apply it to the heading as I would with the normal "Large" heading style in the atto provided styling drop down list. So, for example, it just turns a p tag to an h3 tag and adds a class. I can immediately change this to another level style which I've defined, or remove the style etc.

In styles, I can easily define my own list of styles (tags with classes) - which I can't do with the atto list.

As I have access to the "Additional html" in site admin I can easily create css to style the classes etc. While that works OK for me, anyone without access to that configuration cannot define CSS for, say, their course. They'd have to ask someone to add the CSS code into "Additional html"... even if they used snippet to add text with a suitable tag and class.

This works similar to the way you apply a heading style etc. to text in, say, MS Word.