Adding activities once a course has started

by Aaron Cauchi -
Number of replies: 7

My query is, if there is a complete course which includes documents, hyperlinks, Quizes, meetings etc and once course has started teacher decides to include another quiz or activity at a later stage. Is this good practice? Will such "add-ons" disrupt course completion, credits to student, etc as long as anything added is also included in the sequence and also in the course completion setup?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aaron Cauchi

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
One consideration is the gradebook -- how does it aggregate? If something new is added, are all students expected to complete it, or only new students from that point forward. If only new students, are the older students exempted from that activity somehow? Do you have student who work a head? If items are added, will they need to go back and complete the newly added items.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Adding activities once a course has started

by Aaron Cauchi -
We have a clinical setup and our courses sometimes although pre-planned end up some modules might be needed to be added at a later stage. No, till now we never had teachers adding modules to a course at stage 3 when we have arrived at stage 5, Usually any addons are done at the end. Also, whatever is added will have to be done by ALL, meaning if you are have done what was requested till to date, whatever is going to be added you will see it as a new module or event that needs to be done and you have to do it too. We usually end our courses with an attendance marking by the teacher which then gives the students facility to print a certificate.

So, I am presuming that theoretically a course completion setup will not be disrupted, assuming that whatever is added, is added also to the course completion setup, correct?

Thanks for the response
In reply to Aaron Cauchi

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
You have to manually add new course completion activities.....it is a little of a hold your breath moment.

Do not select the Unlock.....button.

On the course completion conditions, there are three tabs. Select the Bulk edit activity completions tab.
Only select the newly added activities. Select the Activity completion rule. such as, Student must view...
Select the Edit button.
Go back to the Course Activity Report and Course Completion Report to verify that the new activities were added as expected.
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Aaron Cauchi -
Good to know and will test it out as am using v3.9 now but in 3.1 the Bulk edit activity completions did not exist (am I correct)

Thanks Shirley

Aaron
In reply to Aaron Cauchi

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I believe it is a new feature.....
I wish I could also use it to populate the checkboxes in mass. It only adds the activity as a new requirement for the course.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by David Keeler -
How do you communicate all this with a learner? Do you send out a bulk email saying you added content to the course? Do learners log in regularly anyway and will they notice the added material?
In reply to David Keeler

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
There are all kinds of ways to run a course. I can give you my "one" way.

I never turn a complete course on for students. I always pace my course by turning on something new each week. When I turn on a new topic, I email all students that I have done so.

I use Moodle's "highlight" feature to highlight the current topic. Each topic has a "Resources and Assignments" web page that describes what the student is supposed to do.
I use Moodle's "Activity Completion" checkboxes that allow students to check-off what they have done.
I use Moodle's "Upcoming Events" and "Calendar" to show students what is soon due.

Somehow, my methods and Moodle features seem to work.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)