Restore stops, no error messages.

Restore stops, no error messages.

by Stanislav Shap -
Number of replies: 1

I have tried normal restore and asynchronous restore and this is what happens:

Normal Restore: after getting to the last page of the restore process and click next, instead of displaying a progress bar like other users have stated, all I see is a "Waiting for www.website.com" in the bottom left corner. After about 5 minutes it skips to the progress bar page with about 0.20%, and 2448128.12 seconds (different every time). The progress bar does not move, no matter how much time I wait, and no error messages are displayed. I have debugging on and nothing appears on the web page or in the logs.

Asynchronous restore: just like the normal restore, the progress bar hangs around 0.20% but after a while it does "finish". But when I go to find the course all I see is "course restoration in progress".

What I have tried: 

Changing all the php.ini settings, which did nothing.

Using different backup files, smaller sizes sometimes worked, but also not stable.

and finally: Trying the restore on MoodleCloud, which worked perfectly.

This lead me to believe it was a problem with my host (bluehost). Further forum searching lead me to this post with a similar problem: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=345675#p1411282

But the issue in their post was the Network packet size was too small (4mb), but checking on my host, the network packet size is set to 230mb since it is a shared server. At this point I am not sure what to do, and wondering if I will have to switch from the shared server completely.

Any help is apprecieded! Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stanislav Shap

Re: Restore stops, no error messages.

by James Steerpike -

It does sound like a problem with your host. Unless someone has had the same problem or can replicate it, it would be hard to help. With shared hosting you don't have complete control over your setup.

Maybe a VPS is your next step if host technical support can't help.