Changing role from Guest to Student

Changing role from Guest to Student

by Henry L'Estrange -
Number of replies: 2

I have some courses available to Guests (who auto-login to view). 

I have some other courses only for Students (who must register).

What I would expect happens when a Guest tries to access a Student course is it asks them to register. But it doesn't say anything, it just displays the overview page and won't let the Guest view the Course, (or give any useful message).

In short I want a way for the Guest to choose to become a Student (i.e. register) once they have seen the free courses.

I have googled and googled and simply can't find any useful info on this... Help please! Many thanks.

(I am on Moodle 3.4).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Henry L'Estrange

Re: Changing role from Guest to Student

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Henry,

Do you have Self enrolment enabled for the courses only for students? If so, when a guest tries to access a course, they should see a prompt 'Guests cannot access this course. Please log in.' as shown in the attached screenshot.

If they click the continue button they end up on the login page where they can register for a new account (assuming you have enabled Email-based self-registration).

(It's the same in Moodle 3.4 as in recent versions.)