How can we show our students only wrong answers?

How can we show our students only wrong answers?

by Miki Alliel -
Number of replies: 34
Picture of Translators

Hello everyone.

I apologize if this question was asked before .

We want simply to find a way to show the student only wrong answers in their preview attempt . how can we do it?

Even if we set here is "Whether correct " , the students can see his hole attempt I want him to see the red only (see next image -only the wrong attempts ):

How can I set it? 
Is there any MDL  in the Tracker that someone can refer me to?
Thanks a lot

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miki Alliel

Re: How can we show our students only wrong answers?

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Miki,

Here's a JavaScript, with its limitations, that you might find useful. It would be much better if I had developed this functionality in PHP but, on the other hand, the script is very simple and you can easily adapt it to your specific needs:

https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=49&section=31#cont_20200803_1104

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators
Thank you for the answer. seems useful but I'm not sure this is what I meant.
What I described is suppose to be for only 1 attempt in the quiz.
Is your solution working also for 1 attempt?
so the student will only see his wrong answers and that's it. but won't be able to attempt again.
In reply to Miki Alliel

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Miki,

You show the navigation block with 25 questions. Do you want to hide questions 1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 12, 19 and 20 which were answered incorrectly ? If so, do you want to hide these questions during the attempt, during the review, or both?

You also show (hidden) a multiple choice question. Do you want to hide incorrect choices to the multiple choice question?

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators
Do you want to hide questions 1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 12, 19 and 20 which were answered incorrectly ? -
No , I want to show the student only them, only his wrong answer in his review ( in the review, after the attempt ends)

My question was only about the review
hope now it's clear.
thank you
In reply to Miki Alliel

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators
*worng *answers
In reply to Miki Alliel

by Dominique Bauer -
Simply add the following script to the HTML code of any question on each quiz page. You can also add the script to the Additional HTML if you want to apply it to the whole site:

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.5.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
    $(document).ready(function() {
        // On the review page
        $("body#page-mod-quiz-review .que").each(function() {
            var state = $(this).find(".state").text();
            // Remove correct answers
            if (state == 'Correct') {
                $(this).remove();
            }
        });
    });
</script>
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators
Thank you,
I will try that.
This is a solution for all quizzes in my Moodle but not in certain quiz, right?
The idea is to have another option in the column "after the quiz close" , add there another option called "show wrong answers only" , so in each quiz that I need it I can set this like that.
What do you think? Is this worth adding an improvement issue to mdl tracker?
In reply to Miki Alliel

by Dominique Bauer -

This is a solution for all quizzes in my Moodle but not in certain quiz, right?

Yes and no.

Solution for all quizzes: Add the script to the Additional HTML (Site adminstration -> Appearance -> Additional HTML)

Solution for certain quizzes: Add the script to the HTML code of any question on a quiz page. For efficiency, use the Generico filter.

Do not hesitate to add an improvement issue to the Tracker.

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Dominique,

Can you please look at https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Quiz_settings#How_can_we_show_our_students_only_the_wrong_answers and add/remove/change as necessary?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Germán Valero

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks a lot Dominique.

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Germán,

I added some clarification about the location of the script.

Since the text was getting a bit long, I placed it in a "collapsible" element. I hope this conforms to the style rules.

Thank you for putting the text in MoodleDocs.

by Germán Valero -
Hello Dominique,

Thank you for improving the Docs page.

The current Documentation page at https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Quiz_settings#How_can_we_show_our_students_only_the_wrong_answers seems very useful.

Perhaps you can talk to someone in MUA and discuss if this feature is worth adding to Moodle core. It would certainly make life nicer for many teachers and students. smile

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Germán,

I am currently trying to convince the Dean of Studies that our school should become a member of the Moodle Users Association. I just wrote to her again and hope she appreciates my suggestion.

by Aditya Joshi -
I tried adding the script at quiz level, but it is not working, can you please help in understanding what could be the issue-

attaching the image of html block added with script at quiz level. 
I have also set the Appearance setting to Yes (Show blocks during quiz attempts : Yes)
Attachment QuizReviewHTMLBlock.png
In reply to Aditya Joshi

by Dominique Bauer -
Make sure to put the code in the HTML of the text field. Here is a short video that shows how to switch from Display mode to HTML mode (the video has no sound):

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Germán,

It's done, our school is now an organizational member of the Moodle Users Association, as well as myself individually. Thanks to you and Rick for suggesting joining the association. I could perhaps suggest a few topics that come up regularly on this forum.

by Germán Valero -
That is very good news Dominique.

I have thought about joining MUA personally, but I can not afford the fee as we are struggling with my salary at home.

I hope you can also suggest many small changes that will cost little money but will make a large improvement for users of standar Moodle core.

There are many very well written additional plugins in the list of most installed plugins at https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=sort-by:sites .

BUT perhaps you might also consider suggesting some very useful plugins made by TimHunt and other OU staff that will help with assessment in Moodle and would be great if they were in Moodle 4.0 core:

https://moodle.org/plugins/quizaccess_honestycheck
https://moodle.org/plugins/quiz_gradingstudents
https://moodle.org/plugins/quiz_cbmgrades
https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_studentquiz

Also the cloze editors:
https://moodle.org/plugins/atto_cloze
https://moodle.org/plugins/tinymce_clozeeditor

I see your name now in the Spanish language forum. Congratulations.

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Germán,

I am now an individual member of MUA and still have high hopes of convincing my School to become a member.

by Aditya Joshi -

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for providing the script. I wish it can be part of moodle settings. 

https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Quiz_settings#How_can_we_show_our_students_only_the_wrong_answers

I read above article. One quick question-

• Site level. The script affects all quizzes on your Moodle site.
Place the script in "Additional HTML" (Site administration / Appearance / Additional HTML).

When I open Additional HTML page, it gives 3 options- Within HEAD, When BODY is opened and Before BODY is closed. Where to add your script, in which section out of these 3?
Regards,
Aditya Joshi

In reply to Aditya Joshi

by Aditya Joshi -
I just tried adding first in all 3 and then just in "within Head"- both options seems working and I can see only the questions which are marked in correct while reviewing the attempt (post submission). This looks good.
In reply to Aditya Joshi

by Dimitar Savov -
I did what you did and the script doesn't work for me. I have Moodle version 3.10.1. Is there anything other i must do and yes, i inserted the script in additional HTML within HEAD, because on the page source i see the script in the head tag and nothing happens?
In reply to Dimitar Savov

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Димитър,

I don't think it makes a huge difference if you put this code in "Within HEAD", "When BODY is opened" or "Before BODY is closed". In fact, I didn't really ask myself the question. If it doesn't work in one place, I put the code in another place.

The code is really very simple and normally it should work smoothly. Check that you have not introduced an error when transferring it. It is computer programming, that is, only one misplaced comma, one missing space and nothing works anymore.

by Ryan Malone -

Hello,

Can you tell if me this solution (adding the script posted above) effects the instructor preview of the quiz. When I receive immediate feedback from a preview attempt, I still continue to see questions I answered correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

In reply to Ryan Malone

by Ramesh A R -
Even in the student view also NOT working.

by Ramesh A R -
It will be beneficial to all, If anyone could share a video adding the script in Quiz level.
In reply to Ramesh A R

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Ramesh,

A few days ago I added audio to the video so it has a new address. I also changed the title screen.

by Ramesh A R -
Thank you for the video.
Could you create a video of adding the HTML code in quiz/course level... Video starts with the course page and showing the addition of HTML code.
It would be better, if we can add it in the course level (Because a quiz may contain more than 25 pages with 5 questions in each page). 

by Ramesh A R -
I am able to add in individual questions of a page and it is working for Normal quiz..........

BUT i found that, it is NOT working in quizzes with Random questions...

Is there a way to add it in "Course Level"
In reply to Ramesh A R

by Josh Tubana -

Hi Ramesh,

Please could you show a screenshot of how the script suppose to look like in the individual questions? I'm also trying to attempt the same and I've tried adding the script in the HTML block but no success so far.

by Paras Sharma -

Hi Dominique, 

Just wondering, if you tried any solution for Essay type questions. The script you provided doesn't quite worked with Essay question. 

I am very new to javascript, but I did try to modify your code in order to work it out, but couldn't able to get it right. 

I have attached my script if you wanna look. Some tips could be very useful. 

Thanks

Paras 

In reply to Paras Sharma

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Paras,

Essay type questions are marked by the teacher. They can only be "Complete", not "Correct" or "Incorrect".

by Paras Sharma -
Hi Dominique,

But can't we take the specific feedback which says "your question is correct/incorrect" to identify it.