H5P Audio Recording works in Chrome not Firefox

H5P Audio Recording works in Chrome not Firefox

by Matt Johnson -
Number of replies: 4

Couldn't find anything on this in the forums so wanted to ask here.

I'm putting together my own gallery of H5P content for our teachers and noticed that the H5P Audio Recording option only seems to work properly in Chrome.  On Firefox I'm getting this error:

Access to microphone is not allowed in your browser since this page is not served using HTTPS. Please contact the author, and ask him to make this available using HTTPS

The site itself is being delivered over HTTPs.  

On Chrome it asks for permission to access the microphone and works properly.  I haven't tested other browsers like Edge (which is moving to Chromium) and Safari. 

Does anyone know if this is an H5P problem or a Moodle integration problem?  Or a Firefox problem, could recommend people away from using firefox.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Johnson

Re: H5P Audio Recording works in Chrome not Firefox

by Stuart Mealor -
There are a number of H5P content types that specifically note they only work with Chrome. This is because they use a technology only available in Chrome.

Personally, as someone who cares about the openness of the web, I would never recommend using something that only works in Chrome, because the web is far more important that what Google happens to think it should be!  Web browsers are supposed to be about making the web accessible for all, not trying to tie in users to their own browser and systems (remember Internet Explorer?!)

I noted you said "Edge (which is moving to Chromium)" - I didn't know that. But did you know Google Chrome is basically a Google branded version of (the much better) Chromium anyway !
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I believe that Google are the main source of input into Chromium.
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I agree with your point of view, Stuart.
Is there somewhere a list of those H5p content types that only work in the Chrome browser?
In reply to Matt Johnson

by John Love -
In my experience, the H5P Audio Recorder activities (two of them) have only ever worked in Chrome. This hasn't changed since we started using H5P plugin in 2018. The Dictation activity works well in Chrome or Firefox though.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)