"Not enough course activity between the start and the end of the course" error when training risk of dropping out

"Not enough course activity between the start and the end of the course" error when training risk of dropping out

by Sarah Blewett -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have been working with the Moodle analytics models for the past few months. Currently, I am looking at the Student Risk of Dropping out model for my postgrad research. I have successfully trained it with one course but it didn't provide me with enough training data. I, therefore, uploaded a second course but when I try and train with it I get the "Not enough course activity between the start and the end of the course" error. I am not sure why this is because there is a lot of activity on the course. The course has 322 students, 66 different activities and spans over about 3 months. 

I'm really not sure what the problem is, so any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Sarah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Blewett

Re: "Not enough course activity between the start and the end of the course" error when training risk of dropping out

by David Monllaó -

Hi Sarah,

The error you are getting comes from here: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/course/classes/analytics/target/course_dropout.php#L96. So if your course has 322 students a minimum of 3220 activity logs between the start and the end of the course are required to consider this course valid for training.

The purpose of this checking is to ensure that the courses that are used for training have a minimum of activity. We fixed this minimum at 10 activity logs for user.

I would check that:

1. The number of activity logs between the start and the end of the course is more than ~3000
  2. The course start and end date are correctly set
  3. The start and end of the student enrolments are correctly set
  4. You use quarters or quarters accumulative time-splitting methods (the field is renamed to 'analysis interval' in Moodle 3.8) I added this point because the course duration is 3 months and using tenths as the time-splitting method can be a problem.
By the way, the other students at risk targets in Moodle 3.7 do not have this "Not enough course activity between the start and the end of the course" restriction.
In reply to David Monllaó

Re: "Not enough course activity between the start and the end of the course" error when training risk of dropping out

by Sarah Blewett -
Thank you! Your response was extremely helpful!
I was running it on Moodle 3.7, so not sure why I was getting the error..