Add new field to Gradebook

Add new field to Gradebook

by Donna Mayne -
Number of replies: 3

I would like to be able to search users in the gradebook not only by firstname and lastname, but by the country field or city field (which I would eventually like to change to department and location?). Am I missing something or is this possible?

I am new to Moodle and appreciate your help.

In reply to Donna Mayne

Re: Add new field to Gradebook

by joe cool -
Since moodle source code is available, you could modify your own installation - but then, when upgrade time comes around, those customizations would be erased, unless there was a special effort to maintain them. (Probably manually editing certain files...)

What you ask is possible - at your installation - to add a field or change a field's name means changing the database that moodle uses, and this could result in other code not working (because it depends on certain names for fields).

But without adding fields or changing them, I can see the advantage in being able to sort based on city and country. That would not require changing the database. It would require some PHP coding.

Hope this helps - I know it isn't very detailed as to specific code changes.
In reply to joe cool

by Jonny McCullagh -
I think this is essential for the gradebook and should form part of the core rather than be a hack.
Could this be added as a feature request?
Incidentally, how much does it cost to get features implemented?
cheers,
jonny
In reply to Jonny McCullagh

by joe cool -

You can submit a bug report at moodle.org/bugs, and there is a "Severity" field which has a drop down list - one of the choices is "Feature Request".