Manage students' accounts after they finish the class

Manage students' accounts after they finish the class

by nayu Jiang -
Number of replies: 6

Hello everyone! As an administrator, how do we manage students' accounts after they finish the class or graduate from school? For example, they will become inactive users or suspend users. How do we solve that?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to nayu Jiang

Re: Manage students' accounts after they finish the class

by Carly Born -
I have a related question. We enroll students into course via the LDAP enrollment plugins. And we also keep up to 5-6 years of courses on our production server.
So when students graduate, they eventually drop out of LDAP and Moodle un-enrolls them. This hasn't been a problem until this year, where usage of Moodle has increased in both volume and importance during the pandemic. Is there a way to freeze enrollments in courses by category??
In reply to Carly Born

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Carly,

My way of solving this is to change both the authentication method and enrollment method for such users from LDAP to manual. There's several ways to do that in bulk (web api, database query, upload file), but basically you need to untie them from the LDAP before the LDAP unties them from Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Carly Born -
Randy,

Ah, that's a great idea! Thanks for mentioning it, I'll get that going right away!
In reply to Carly Born

by Randy Thornton -
You can also set the authentication to nologin as well, instead of manual, which might be a little more secure in a server with live users (instead of for instance an course archive type server.)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Carly Born -
I'm wondering if it might be better to set the accounts as Suspended? We auth with Shibboleth, but enrollments are handled by LDAP. So I'm a little worried that just setting them to nologin will not have a full impact.
In reply to Carly Born

by Randy Thornton -

Carly,

The nologin authentication method will disassociate the user account entirely from any external (or other internal) authentication method at all. The user will not be able to log in under any circumstance with that account. Even if LDAP were to - for some reason - keep enrolling them in courses, that would have no effect on the authentication method and they won't be able to log in.

I would set it to nologin if you know for sure they will never log in again, as is the case if their account is removed from Shibboleth. If there is some chance they may log in again, I would set to the account to suspended but keep the authentication method they already have (as long as it exists.)

There's nothing wrong with also setting an account with nologin to also be suspended, but that would be a belt and suspenders approach (so to speak ;) since Moodle will never check whether they are suspended or not because they have no authentication method to even allow them even get that far along in the process of logging in. 

Randy