Manage h5p in the content bank?

Manage h5p in the content bank?

by tim st.clair -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers

Be great if there was an option to manage the h5p packages in the content bank, eg. to make clones so I can quickly make variations. The content bank looks a bit like a repository browser, but it's not. 

he current process for cloning content isn't that obvious:

1. open a package by clicking on it
  2. click on EDIT, as if you wanted to change that package
  3. press the copy button at the top 
  4. press CANCEL
  5. press CLOSE to go back to the content bank.
  6. use the add button and scroll around in the list till you find the same content type (why isn't this an autocomplete type box?) and click that type
  7. Click on the 'Paste' button at the top and agree with the dialogue. There's your clone.
  8. Go back to step 6 and discover it doesn't matter which type you chose because you're going to overwrite it anyway.

Ok so now I've made my copy and I realised that I don't need it any more. I'll just delete it again. 

1. I'll click the package
  2. I'll click, eh, maybe edit?
  3. Scroll around a while ... can't see anything
  4. maybe at the bottom? no? can't see a way to delete
  5. Oh wait a minute ... go to the themes control and switch to Boost
  6. Now there's a cog menu and underneath it a drop down with Delete
  7. Phew!

Wow these copies are getting out of control. I'll just go organise them into folder with nice version names or something

1. uh ... click on the folder icon?
  2. oh.
  3. oh I see.

Well, big old list of Presentation Actviity (copy) (copy) version 2 final (copy) Final version it is then. I might as well just have the files in dropbox and set it up as repository.

I like the idea of content bank, and the fact that there might one day be other types of content libraries that can be added not just h5p.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to tim st.clair

Re: Manage h5p in the content bank?

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Tim,
I agree the Content bank could be improved. I'm missing particularly the feature you indicate of creating folders to organize the H5Ps.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to tim st.clair

by Stuart Mealor -
Yeah, this process is terrible, compared to what happens with the H5P plugin - which basically creates an Activity in the same way as other Moodle activities. And can be duplicated in the same way.
My feeling at this stage is that the plugin can be used side-by-side, until the concept, and practice, of the content bank is worked out better. I still don't really understand WHY the H5P content is treated this way, and not the same as other Activities, e.g. like a SCORM object is.
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by André Krüger -
Picture of Core developers

I totally agree. Maybe we should do it as feature request at tracker.moodle.org.

In reply to tim st.clair

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There is less obvious, but slightly more straight forward way to clone content.

1. Cliick Upload content
  2. Select add file button on file picker
  3. Choose Content bank repository
  4. Select content to copy and upload
It still is a lot of clicks though. I am not sure what functionality in the plugin you are comparing this with since the content bank does not exist at all. You can duplicate activities when editing course and this creates a new content file to edit. Duplicating a content outside the bank is still the same, but it is not editable there.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)