Reply to all

Re: Reply to all

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am not sure about what you are asking. (I use Standard forum for general use.) Let's assume that you create a forum, and make the first initial post. Then students reply to your original post, and to other students' posts. Any reply in this forum will be emailed to all students.

But are you suggesting that you might want to have an automated way to make a reply, such as "Good work" to every student's post, mean that if you have 50 students, that your reply is added to every student's individual post?

Well, you might need to tell us (or me) more.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by alison fordham -

Hi Rick

I have a tutor that has chosen to used Standard forum for general use. A number of students have responded by adding their own discussion topic, but she wants to reply to all students with one post. 

In reply to alison fordham

by Rick Jerz -
Let me see if I understand. You have a forum, maybe called "Questions." Then, let's say 10 students ask a similar question, and this tutor wants to reply with the very same answer to all. Then, a day passes, and 5 more students ask the same question, and this student wants to reply to all, but just the 5 new topics, not the first 10. And then on the next day, 5 more students ask 5 different kinds of questions, and this tutor doesn't care, they want to give the same response to everyone. Hmmm, somehow this doesn't seem logical. Am I missing something?

If I was the tutor, I would copy/paste my common replies to each student's post. Or I would make my own new topic, and say "The answer to..." Or, another thing that I do is to say "See this post that I made to another student" and I would make "see this post" be a hyperlink to the exact post that I made.

Might it be possible for your tutor to provide the answer before students make their own topics, which would eliminate every student making a new topic?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by alison fordham -

You understand correctly. Thank you for the great advice. It's not a 'Question' forum but a topically forum which i think would have worked better as a single simple forum type.

In reply to alison fordham

by Rick Jerz -
If you are just expecting students to make one post, and if you don't want students to see each other's comments, you might want to consider changing this to an "Assignment." They all upload. You download a grading sheet (in Excel). Duplicate down. Upload. Done.

One problems of having the tutor making identical posts is that if students see this, they might all copy/paste their own posts. It would seem that if it is acceptable for the tutor to make the same post, this would also apply to students.