How to implement Elective Courses in Moodle?

How to implement Elective Courses in Moodle?

ដោយ Andreas Metz នៅ
ចំនួនតប៖ 2

Hi there,

My school asked me to implement the following system in Moodle and I am currently not 100% sure how to implement it:

There are i.e. 50 elective Courses of which each student must select exactly 5 courses in order to be able to graduate.
Students should not be able to enrol in more than 5 courses, also Teachers should be able to easily see if a student has not enrolled in enough courses.

I've researched a little but could not find a way to easily implement this in moodle. So I wanted to ask if anybody knows of a plugin or something to implement this functionality.

Alternatively I thought I'd probably create my own moodle plugin which does this. However my Moodle-Admin experience is very limited and I've never created a plugin before so I'd have to dedicate a few weeks into that. My current thought was to create a category for these elective courses and then check that on each enrolment. (I know probably to naive, so if anyone has a suggestion as to how to implement that I'd be more than thankful.)

Thanks for the help in advance.

មធ្យមភាគនៃរង្វាយតម្លៃ:Useful (1)
ឆ្លើយតបទៅកាន់ Andreas Metz

Re: How to implement Elective Courses in Moodle?

ដោយ Graeme Henderson នៅ
I also have this problem and would love to hear how others handle this. It seem incredible to me that Moodle has no concept of electives as this is a fundamental concept in education.
មធ្យមភាគនៃរង្វាយតម្លៃ: -
ឆ្លើយតបទៅកាន់ Graeme Henderson

Re: How to implement Elective Courses in Moodle?

ដោយ Andreas Metz នៅ
Absolutely, just what I was thinking. Due to corona our school has unfortunately cancelled every elective course, however I found a hack to kind of solve the problem.

I used the plugin Grouptool: https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_grouptool
With this tool users can join different groups and you can set how many users can be in a group. Then I'd create a moodle Course named "Elective Courses" and create a seperate group for every elective course that the teachers want to offer.
The students can then join these courses and you can set a min and max amount of courses students need to join.

This solution is quite work-intensive to set up but once it is running I think it should work. However as already said I won't be able to test it this year. Maybe next year I can test it and provide you with some first hand experience.
មធ្យមភាគនៃរង្វាយតម្លៃ: -