Safe Exam Broser 2.4.1 with moodle 3.9

Safe Exam Broser 2.4.1 with moodle 3.9

by Hanna Kubrak -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I'm trying to create a quiz using SEB. This works with seb 3.0 but not with seb 2.4.1 (which I would prefer). Is this a general issue or am I doing something wrong?

I'm testing moodle 3.9 localhost with windows 10.

Thanks,
Hanna

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hanna Kubrak

Re: Safe Exam Broser 2.4.1 with moodle 3.9

by Luca Bösch -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Hanna

I don't suppose there is some general issue. Moodle quality assurance testing before the release has been quite thorough. But it is hard to guess from your description what could have gone wrong.
From what the documentation https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Safe_Exam_Browser says Safe Exam Browser 2.4.1 should be fully supported.

So, in short: if you think there is a Moodle issue you'll have to be more explicit on what you did, what you expected to happen and what happened instead (please reply here).
If you think there is a Safe Exam Browser issue, please write to the https://sourceforge.net/p/seb/bugs Sourceforge page where SEB gathers reports (their Github would work, too).

Best,
Luca

In reply to Luca Bösch

by Hanna Kubrak -

Hi Luca,

many thanks for your reply! I add a new Quiz, choose "Safe Exam browser" and "Configure manually". (Later I need to use my own config files but not yet). I leave all settings as default. As Student, I click Quiz name and next page shows correctly "Download SEB", "Launch SEB", "Download Config file". When I click "Launch SEB"  it works fine if I have SEB 3.0 installed in my PC (SEB starts and quiz begins after log in)  but not if I have SEB 2.4.1. (I have tested this both as admin and as student.) What happens, is that the screen goes black for second or two and then returns to previous screen.

If you can offer any toughs what I am doing wrong, I would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Hanna

Attachment seb.PNG
In reply to Hanna Kubrak

by Daniel Schneider -
With SEB 2.4.1 for Windows, you cannot use the "Launch SEB" button if you try to start the quiz in SEB from another browser (this also applies to the current iOS version). You can use "Download configuration" and then open the downloaded config file, which will start SEB 2.4.1 into the quiz.

The other option is to send your students a config file (or put it on some web server and send them a sebs:// link to it) saved with the option "Use SEB settings file for ... configuring a client". Create that config file manually and indicate your Moodle server as "Start URL" and don't use a Quit Password in that config. Also disable the setting in the Exam pane for Session Cookies "Clear on session end" (then students will stay logged in when they're starting the quiz with its own configuration).
After applying that client config once, students then can open SEB directly, navigate to the Moodle quiz inside of SEB and that error message should no longer be displayed.

Why do you prefer to use 2.4.1? 3.0.1 has various advantages, one of those being that indirect/authenticated seb(s) links from other browsers work (that's why the Launch SEB button works in 3.0, but not in 2.4.1).
Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Daniel Schneider

by Hanna Kubrak -

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for such a detailed answer! I really appreciate it!

When we planned our digital exams in this sprig we had some problems with SEB 3 but 2.4 worked well for our purpose. So decided to go with that. But knowing this we'll look into 3.0.1.

Greetings,
Hanna