Where in database is resource connected with course section?

Where in database is resource connected with course section?

by John Andre -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle v3.7

I am trying to write utility which needs to know which resources (URLs, files, etc.) and activities are in each section of a course.

I see the mdl_resource table, which has an id and a course. So, finding out the course that a resource is connected to seems easy enough. However, I do not see what connects a resource with the section where it resides. It must be in there (as Moodle knows it).

Can anyone tell me where I can find this information?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Andre

Re: Where in database is resource connected with course section?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The link between an activity and the course section is maintained via the course module record (see  https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Course_module for more details).

In summary, you need to look in mdl_modules to find the 'id' the 'resource' activity type (the moduleid).

Then you need to look in mdl_course_modules to find the record with the field 'module' matching the moduleid AND the 'instance' field matching the id from mdl_resource.

In there, you will find the 'section' field (I don't have a live example in front of me now, off the top of my head that is the 'id' of the mdl_course_sections record that represents the section, rather than the 'section number' for the section).

mdl_course_sections also has a 'sequence' field, which is an ordered list of the mdl_course_modules records that appear in that section.

In almost all situations, what you actually want to use is get_fast_modinfo(), that returns a mod_info object, in which you can find various functions for looping through the course and getting the list of activities in each section.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Davo Smith

Re: Where in database is resource connected with course section?

by John Andre -
This is fantastic and exactly what I needed. Thanks!

I see now that instance can refer to many different things (resource, url, etc.) and you need to see the moduleid to see the type of resource so you know which table to match with.

You've opened my eyes.

By the way, is there any documentation on the database design to help those of us who are still pretty new at it?