Setting up different fee rates for different customers to access the same course

Setting up different fee rates for different customers to access the same course

by Stephanie Worden -
Number of replies: 6

I was referred to this forum from the PayPal plugin forum.  My company is looking to take payment for courses in Moodle, but I have a question. Does Moodle have the ability for customers to pay different amounts to access a course? Some of our customers buy courses individually, while others pay for a set of courses at a discounted rate. Most customers pay a monthly fee to access the courses, but that monthly fee will vary depending upon how many students they are enrolling. From what I've read so far, it looks like I set one fee to access a course. Can I set up different payment plans for the same course?  Also,how o I set up reoccurring (monthly) payments?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephanie Worden

Re: Setting up different fee rates for different customers to access the same course

by Vitaly Potenko -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Moodle isn't an online store application. Yes, it does have the PayPal plugin, but it's not enough to make a store out of Moodle. In my opinion, the best option is to set up a separate online store application to receive payments and do all the merchant's stuff, and then to connect it with Moodle through it's API.
In reply to Vitaly Potenko

Re: Setting up different fee rates for different customers to access the same course

by Stephanie Worden -
Thanks! That's good to know. Where would I find information about connecting to Moodle through it's API?

by Vitaly Potenko -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Try starting from here - https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Web_services.

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
PayPal can be added to a course more than once - I use it like that on one course to have three different rates for different employee number bandings, eg.
Example of multiple PayPal enrolments

You can’t use PayPal in Moodle to do subscriptions in the proper sense of automated recurring payments... but you can set the enrolment duration to 30 days. The student is then unenrolled automatically but has the opportunity to reenrol and pay again.

If you want anything more complex or with more control, then you’ll need an e-commerce solution - there are several integrations available, including (but not limited to) WooCommerce, Edwiser and CourseMerchant.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Stephanie Worden -
Thanks! That is very helpful.