Random questions not respecting Tag filter

Random questions not respecting Tag filter

per heli g,
Number of replies: 5

Moodle 3.5 - In the last week 2 Teachers have reported that filtering random questions by Tag is not working reliably. Both have used Tags to filter random questions successfully in the past.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to go about investigating and hopefully resolving this? I have been unable to reproduce.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to heli g

Re: Random questions not respecting Tag filter

per Tim Hunt,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers
I don't konw why it would suddenly stop working.

Being able to reproduce is normally the first step in investigating any issue, but you are already doing that - or trying to.
In reply to heli g

per Serge Charlebois,
Hi, I also experience an issue the "add new random question" interface which does not update when selecting a tag.
Was working fine a few days ago. I'm not aware of an version update.
A workaround is to select/deselect the "include sub-categories" button which triggers a refresh of the list.

Also, note this bug: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-65041#
Average of ratings:Useful (3)
In reply to Serge Charlebois

per Joseph Rézeau,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators
I notice same issue in Moodle 3.9.2 (Build: 20200914). The workaround suggested by Serge does work, viz. "select/deselect the "include sub-categories" button which triggers a refresh of the list".
The problem appears because upon tag selection/de-selection the list of available questions is not refreshed.
It also does not make sense that the "Number of random questions" available can be greater than the number of questions matching the current filter! That number should be refreshed when the filter is changed and the number available should be restricted accordingly.