User Audit in Prison Environement

User Audit in Prison Environement

by Duncan Blake -
Number of replies: 5

Hi All,

We are looking at using Moodle in our Correctional Facilities for Prisoner Education in a state in Australia.

One of the key requirements for a LMS for this Prison environment is User Auditing (Both Staff and Students (Prisoners)). We need a solution that will be able to record all actions in clear audit logs where we will be able to easily recreate the actions of a user. 

We have had a demonstration of the audit logs from the vendor and they are (to be honest) un-usable in their current format. 

We need to be able to list all actions from a specific user for a specific time frame, search on specific actions of all users, show login and log off times, be able to list which users that have seen content in specific pages, Be able to see what files have been uploaded and downloaded from a user, be able to record all interactions between teachers and prisoners and identify any behavior that could be considered as miss use of the system. 

We are not after a solution that requires us to be SQL experts to pull out audit history directly out of databases. 

Can some one tell me if Moodle can do this function where if an investigation is required it will take minutes to do and understand and not hours, days or weeks of piecing together SQL queries.

You help and advise in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Duncan Blake

Re: User Audit in Prison Environement

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Your need caught my attention, but I am not an expert at these things.

It seems to me that you might have around three choices (but others here on Moodle.org might suggest others.)

1) Live with the reports that the Moodle developers have provided, and not get to all the data and results that you desire.
2) Hire a SQL person, and get to all the results that you desire.
3) Try to find a Moodle plugin that provides everything that you want.

It appears that you might be self-hosted. But if you are using a Moodle partner, you might be able to pay them to create your reports.
In reply to Duncan Blake

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You might check into a plugin

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_configurable_reports

Shows a version up to 3.8 is available.

That allows you to create such a report ... turns into a link which runs it either on demand or on a schedule (if I re-call correctly).

You also might have to hire someone to gen that report ... an moodle/sql expert so your reports get exactly what you want.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=7979

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Good comments, Ken.

As far as I know, Configurable Reports (which I use) provides an environment to help one manage custom SQL. However, someone still needs to write SQL, which the OP doesn't seem to want to do on their own. But if they were to find or hire someone to create their custom SQL, they could then manage it with Configurable Reports.
In reply to Duncan Blake

by Fiona Ong -

Hi Duncan,

Our Certified Moodle Partners will be able to help you with this requirement. Are you currently hosted through one? If not, and you would like me to connect you to one of our Partners, could you please drop me an email at fiona@moodle.com?

Cheers,

Fiona

In reply to Duncan Blake

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Not exactly what you are looking for but the prison environment reminded me a particular Moodle server, which is in use in such restricted environments. It does not need the Internet, people connect to its built-in wireless access point. For more, visit https://moodlebox.net. They have a different community, at https://discuss.moodlebox.net/.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)