How to limit the number of evaluations?

How to limit the number of evaluations?

by Dinh Sang -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, I want to make a programming contest based on VPL module. How can I limit the number of submissions/evaluations? How can we export the highest grade among all submissions? Currently, the module exports the lastest grade. Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dinh Sang

Re: How to limit the number of evaluations?

by Juan Carlos Rodríguez-del-Pino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I will try to answer your three questions.

Q1) Limiting the execution time for each test case.
A1) At this moment you cannot set a different run-time limit for each test case. The default test program set a run-time limit equals to the total run-time limit divided by the number of test cases.
The run-time limit can be set in the "Maximum execution resources limits" option.

Q2) How can we limit the number of evaluations/submissions?
A2) The number of evaluations or submissions cannot be limited. You can only penalize each evaluation.

Q3) how to export the highest grade among all submissions like in CMS.
A3) You cannot get the highest grade of each user, only the grade of the last submission. You can export the activity grades from the grade book of Moodle.

Notice that VPL is not developed to support programming contest.

From this post I add on the TODO list the following:
1) Add a time limit for each test case.
2) Add the highest grade as an evaluation option.

Best regards,
Juan Carlos.
In reply to Juan Carlos Rodríguez-del-Pino

by ACHIYA ELYASAF -

Dear Juan Carlos

Thank you for the valuable plugin, I've been using it for the past months and it works great.

Regarding Q2 - My students are submitting over and over to "hack" my tests. Of course I can penalize them, however this is not a good enough solution, as they need to think twice before each submission - something that I do not wish them to do. Also, they think it is petty and that it is some kind of a punishment. I believe that a better solution would be to limit the submissions to X times a day. It will stop the "hacking" as well without punishing them.

Is there any chance that this feature will be supported in the near future?

Best regards,

Achiya

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ACHIYA ELYASAF

by Erel Segal-Halevi -
I agree. I also noticed that students, who are too lazy to install a working IDE on their computer, use the system as an IDE. They submit hundreds of times, and it puts a lot of load on the server. A hard limit on number of submissions per day would be very useful.
In reply to Erel Segal-Halevi

by Garth Brady -
Yes, I agree this may be useful, however using a combination of the penalty per submission and 'free submissions' can work nicely. For example, if I set free submissions at 3 and then penalize each submission 25% thereafter, this would certainly encourage local development.