How do you manage the course completion cycle

How do you manage the course completion cycle

by Rob Menegon -
Number of replies: 3
I'm new to moodle. 

I'm trying to understand the course completion life cycle.  It seems that a students course life cycle data i.e. when started, when completed is contained in the course_completions table.

How is this managed?  What needs to be done to get the course_completions table populated?  Ii seems that it might be a background process of some type but I'm unsure.  I've written an adhoc script to extract the data from course_completions ... that is how I know it is not being populated.

Is anyone able to advise me on this?

thanks

Rob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Menegon

Re: How do you manage the course completion cycle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What, exactly, are you trying to do?

Are you saying that completion (when configured) isn't working on your site? Have you got Cron running?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Rob Menegon -
Thanks Howard. I need an extract of data with student, course, start date and course completion date. This I believe is course_completions.. I suspect that I may have a configuration problem but I don;t know what to look for.

All I know is that course_completions is empty. What cron job are you referring to?
In reply to Rob Menegon

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
THE Cron job that must be set up to run Moodle Scheduled tasks.

Regarding your main question it's hard to know where to start. Firstly, have you actually set up course completion for the required courses? What do you mean by the "start date"? I assume you're going to say "when the student starts the course" but that isn't a "thing" in Moodle. You could probably do something with activity completion to (say) acknowledge a course start statement.

However, this is a load more complicated than I think you imagine.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)