Email-based self-registration security without reCaptcha

Email-based self-registration security without reCaptcha

by Abhas Abhinav -
Number of replies: 5
I would like to enable email-based self-registration security but without using reCaptcha. My reasons for not wanting to use reCaptcha is in the interest of user privacy and avoiding using Google services completely. Is there any other way to thwart spam during the email-based self-registration workflow without using Google reCaptcha?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Abhas Abhinav

Re: Email-based self-registration security without reCaptcha

by studyingroup com -
there are alternative to Google's ReCaptcha (Google hasn't invented Captcha...).
https://switching.software/replace/google-recaptcha/
or simpler mathematical Captcha: https://wisdmlabs.com/blog/add-captcha-custom-form-without-using-plugin/

But I don't know exactly how to implement this. There's no already available plugins (like the one with Google's ReCaptcha)
In reply to Abhas Abhinav

by Ura Net -

I agree with this, more and more people are concerned about privacy, and the big beasts tapping into everything. It would be great to see alternatives incorporated.

In reply to Ura Net

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Using reCaptcha has dramatically reduced the number of spam accounts on my Moodle.

My question is, "What information might Google be capturing that could be considered confidential?" Is it worst than what Google captures when someone does a Google search?

I am not trying to debate the question. I am just wondering what Google might be capturing.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ura Net -
Yeah no ones likes spam and don’t think anyone would choose spam over some sort of google filter. But ideally a non google solution would be preferable.

The concern with google anything, is that they are fingerprinting devices for tracking purposes. Sure, if a users uses google search they won’t care but there are a growing number of people concerned about google and trying to de-google.