For business open source software is not recommended?

Re: For business, Open Source software is not recommended

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
YAY!!!!! About time too.
But we did say the same about the Dark Side when it was taken to court over breaking anti-trust rules with Windows, Internet Exploder and MSOffice in the late 1990s. What happened there? Nothing much. There were two obvious solutions, the Boeing or Bell cases decisions. The Boeing decision essentially separated the engine and air frame divisions, the Bell decision broke Ma Bell into lots of baby Bells. Each gave open competition a chance, and the benefits were obvious.
Separating Windows as an OS and everything else as applications would have had a similar impact, I suggest. When it comes to Google and Facebook, etc., though, they've just gotten too big, making too much money. They've become careless, too close to their clientele, too indifferent to their users.
BTW, I heard that there are only two industries that refer to their clients as "Users" so I must wonder which is more destructive.
In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: For business, Open Source software is not recommended

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I am sceptical. It may be the right decision (antitrust charge on Google) but for the wrong reason. The US administration is known to make policy decisions on whether an entity has done a personal favour to the Trumps or not. You know the epic struggle of Jeff Besos vs Donald Trump. On top of that, the BIGs have grown so big that when they fall, they fall on everybody - aka "too big to fail". As already reported. https://news.slashdot.org/story/20/10/21/1633207/mozilla-fears-collateral-damage-in-google-antitrust-case.

And then come the corrections unthinkable until yesterday. In the mind of the BIGs one can only survive if all the others are dead. Well, no more. See https://apple.slashdot.org/story/20/10/25/180214/apple-google-and-a-deal-that-controls-the-internet !