Link to a topic

Link to a topic

by Andrew Pearce -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to share the link to a topic within a Moodle a page. 

When I try to copy the URL of the topic, all I get is:

/course/view.php?id=61248#

What I would like to be able to do is share a link to the topic - for example:

/course/view.php?id=61248#topic-25

The topic in the Moodle course I am working in doesn't have a specific bookmark attached to it, but rather just exists on a large course. I have to give the user the URL of the course, and then describe how to scroll down the page to find the specific area.

When I go to edit the topic, I have some options, a screenshot of which are listed. Would it be possible to add a 'share' or 'add bookmark' function to these?  

image of options available within a topic area in Moodle

Thanks in advance for your help!

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Pearce

Re: Link to a topic

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Interesting question. I am not the expert on this, but I will provide a few thoughts.

Some of this might depend upon your theme, but in general, Moodle shows all topics on one web page (with the Boost theme.) So topics do not have their own (HTML) anchors. They are already all showing. So the user is expected to simply scroll down to whichever topic they want to view.

You might notice that if you click on a link within a topic, such as a quiz, that in Moodle's breadcrumbs you see the topic, but it is not a hyperlink. This is because clicking on the Course's hyperlink gets you to all topics.

Having said this, maybe someone else will know about some other solution.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Andrew,

There is a setting 'Always link course sections' linkcoursesections in Site admin / Appearance / Navigation which, if enabled, results in topic section links e.g. https://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=5#section-2

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Andrew Pearce -

Thanks for the advice Helen. That setting is enabled, but is the link to the Section, rather than a link to the individual Topics within it. 

Unfortunately we have a hugely long Course, with a lot of content that is being used by different teams. (Yes, yes, I know - we should organise the content better!).

I am currently having to rely on the Section link, but then having to describe how to access the specific topic within that. It would be so much easier if I could just link to it!

In reply to Helen Foster

by Ulrich Hauser-Ehninger -

Hi Helen,

this is quite helpful. My specific problem ist, that these links are not persistent. As soon as I move the section up or down, everything gets completely garbled as all the section links are renumbered from "....#section-1" to "....#section-2". All links to these section now are misleading now as they do not point to the original sections any more.

I have a large number of topics, all collected in a single course. From other courses, I would like to persistently link to section od this 'summary' course. This is no normal teaching stuff, but a research project. It really makes sense in our context to have all sections in one course. Theses sections then are arranged in individual collections of sections inside another course or section, so that a part or all of the sessions can be rearranged inside other courses. As soon as a new section is placed in the summary course and moved to the correct position, all links to sections now link to other sections in the summary course.

Is there a way to make these links persistent?

Thanks in advance for an answer.

Ulrich Hauser-Ehninger