Quiz Error when Next button was used

Quiz Error when Next button was used

Danielle Ghazarian -
Number of replies: 4

A student of ours got an error message when she clicked on the Next button to navigate to the next question in her quiz. Although the error message states that the test-taker used the browser navigation buttons, I know our student didn't do this from reviewing her exam recording.

The message:

"You have entered data outside of the normal sequence. This can occur if you use your browser’s back and forward buttons, please don’t use these during the test. It can also happen if you click on something while a page is loading. Click Continue to resume."

When she clicked "Continue" as prompted by Moodle, it took her to her Moodle profile, and she wasn't able to resume the quiz. I also tried reproducing the error but was unsuccessful (I did this by navigating away from the page as a student user, multiple times, via the browser back and forward buttons, but wasn't able to get the same error message to pop-up).

Any insight on what may have caused this error to populate outside of the reasons specified by the error (since I determined that was the case), would be appreciated! 

Moodle Cloud version 3.8.2

Ngā whakawākanga toharite: -
In reply to Danielle Ghazarian

Re: Quiz Error when Next button was used

Tim Hunt -
Pikitia o Core developers Pikitia o Documentation writers Pikitia o Particularly helpful Moodlers Pikitia o Peer reviewers Pikitia o Plugin developers

Note, it says "... This can occur id ...". It does not say "... This can only occur id ...". It is just one possible reason why this can happen - the one where the user can easily do something about it if that was the cause - which is why that particular cause is the one we explain.

If the cause was something else, then sometimes you can work it out be careful analysis of the logs (Moodle logs and web server logs together.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

Aparna Samal -

Hi...

In my case, it's happening when I finish answering all questions and again navigate to previous page through browser back btn and again click the finish btn.

Why should this cause error in moodle? Is there a solution for this?

In reply to Aparna Samal

Danielle Ghazarian -

Hi Aparna,

If you used the browser back button, that could cause the error. That is specifically what the error message states (see my first post). Always use the navigation buttons provided directly in the quiz to navigate, never the browser back and forward buttons.

Is there anything else that you're doing that may also be causing the error that you can think of?

In reply to Danielle Ghazarian

Aparna Samal -
Thanks for your reply Danielle...
I know we should use the nav btns, but we can't restrict the end users.
How can we prevent users to see this error page, because we launch quiz from a different application. We don't want to show the users any other page other than the attempt page and when this error occurs user is able to see the inner features of moodle like site navigation, profile etc.