InQuiz Audio - link to File Resource or Repository

InQuiz Audio - link to File Resource or Repository

by V Martin -
Number of replies: 3

Using 3.6.1

Hoping the community can assist:

I'm looking to include audio narration to some large questions in a Quiz. I have found three ways to do this, but am seeking advice on the best way.

1) I could "Embed" the audio into a Quiz Question, however, I don't want the audio files to pre load. With many audio files, it could slow the quiz loading and prevent students with poor internet connections from taking the Quiz.

2) I could add a "File" Resource and dump the Audio files in there and Link them, using "*" wildcards to account for version updates to the individual files.

3) Could add a Repository and dump all the audio files in there for Linking as #2 above. But with this method I'm not sure how the Repository is exported with course backups/restore, If all links fail it would be difficult to repair.

There could be other efficient ways to add audio to a Quiz Question so I'm open to suggestion. However I do it, I want no pre-loading slowing the quiz down and solid links and availability when backing up and restoring.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to V Martin

Re: InQuiz Audio - link to File Resource or Repository

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello V,

Could this plugin be useful for you?
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by V Martin -
Thanks for responding Dominique,
I don't think that plugin will assist with what I'm looking for. The quiz functionality works fine, I'm just looking for the most economical place to store and retrieve/link audio files to prevent pre-loading while still being easily updated. It looks like the plugin is for Delayed Attempts, which I may want to explore at some point.

I'll wait to see if anyone has any advice before proceeding, but I'm leaning towards #2 placing in a "File" resource.
Thanks,
In reply to V Martin

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
1) is the normal way to do it?

What makes you think that all the audio files are downloades as soon as the page loads? (Whether this happens or you will depend on how the media is embedded. The way you should do that in Moodle is to use Moodle's build in Media file handling - and I would hope the media player it uses would only download the audio files when required, and download them a bit at a time if it is a long file.) However, I don't know exactly how Moodle's medial player works.

Anyway, the place to start is with the Insert media button in the toolbar of the HTML editor.