Collapsed Topics: Single-View mode has text display problem.

Collapsed Topics: Single-View mode has text display problem.

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Gareth, I don’t go into single view that often, but last week when I was making a video for the Moots, I switched into single view mode, and I noticed a mess.  I have tried to troubleshoot this myself, even tried finding some CSS to add, but no luck.  The problem is illustrated in my graphic below.  The first graphic shows how it appears in a one-section view.  The second graphic shows the regular Moodle way of showing the topic/topic navigation, as a suggestion to you.  Maybe the Moodle way could be moved below the Topic text?

I am using Boost, and Moodle 3.9 (Build: 20200615).

Attachment CT Ugly.png
Attachment Moodles Way.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Collapsed Topics: Single-View mode has text display problem.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for the info Rick, I'll look when I make an M3.9 version of the format.
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -
Great! Thanks Gareth.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rui Hu -
hi @Rick, can you explain how you were able to enable Single View mode with Collapsed Topic format? I know in regular Topics format there is a place right under the selection of "Topics Format", to allow you to choose one section per page. However when I switched to Collapsed Topic, that option disappeared.
In reply to Rui Hu

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Click on the radio button to the right of the toggle Rui.
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rui Hu -
Thanks that worked!
In reply to Rui Hu

by Rick Jerz -
Okay, I think I can do this for you. The first item (below) is required. The second item is personal choice, but give it a try.

First, at the course level, pick one of the Element choices that does not have "Topic x" in it. For example, I use "No additions."
Second, I set Site Admin|Appearance|Navigation|Always link course sections = NO.

This is one of the best things that I have discovered in Collapsed Topics. It removes all the sections when in a course, which Moodle should be doing itself (since all the sections can be easily seen when all sections are collapsed.)

To Gareth's defense, the overlapping text was not always there.  Somewhere between Moodle 3 and 3.9, the theme changes to core created this problem. 
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rui Hu -
@Rick, I am not sure if I understood about the always link course sections setting to No part. But I will experiment more and see what difference it makes. Thanks!
In reply to Rui Hu

by Rick Jerz -

Okay, I will try again.

Having all course sections showing in the NavDrawer seems to be redundant to what you might be seeing in the middle of your course.  And, if you are using Collapsed Topic and Close All, this redundancy is very visible.  So by making the changes that I mentioned, you remove the sections from showing in the NavDrawer and then just see available courses.

However, when you do switch to single topic mode in Collapsed Topics, then seeing all available course sections in the NavDrawer makes sense. 

This is the (good) kind of functionality that Collapsed Topics provides.  (Again, good work Gareth.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)