At a glance view of which students haven't posted in a forum

At a glance view of which students haven't posted in a forum

by Andrew Dunn -
Number of replies: 2

I have a course with >150 users. I want to be able to see which students haven't posted to a discussion forum in the course.

I set up the forum with completions turned on - students have to post 1+ and reply to 1+ topics.

I can use the Overview of Students in the  Completion Progress block to see which students have completed the forum, but I'd like to be able to filter/sort for completions on just this particular forum. Is there a quick way to see which students have completed a particular forum/activity in e.g. a report or a spreadsheet view? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Dunn

Re: At a glance view of which students haven't posted in a forum

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Andrew,

How about making use of the Participation report, where you can select a particular forum, and if you wish, send a message to all students who haven't posted in it.

In reply to Andrew Dunn

Re: At a glance view of which students haven't posted in a forum

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

When I do "required" discussions, I also use "ratings" such as 2 points for every post, up to 8 points max. I also read and rate discussions regularly, meaning that I am always participating.  If I ever want to know which students have not yet posted, I simply go to the grade book, sort this grade book item, and look for anyone with no "grade."  Of course, you can export the grade book to Excel for further analysis, if you wish.

This method can also be used to see if the instructor is participating.😉

Average of ratings: Useful (1)