Conveniently importing questions with images into moodle

Conveniently importing questions with images into moodle

by Ian Lim -
Number of replies: 3

Hi guys

I'd like to know of a fast way to create and then import questions with images into Moodle. I know that there is a plugin - gift with media - but i've got 100s of questions with images. Previously, i used ispringquizmaker to create quizzes but the resulting scorm 1.2 and 2004 quizzes did not allow me to see how students performed on each question. I then set up tin can xapi but it seems that i am still unable to view student results by question. Thus, using the quiz activity may be my best solution for now. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Lim

Re: Conveniently importing questions with images into moodle

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Importing questions is always a challenge. Of course, the easiest way is if the questions happen to be in Moodle XML format. The second easiest is if they are in Blackboard format (which many other systems might be able to support, as an export format.)

I am sure that you have discovered Moodle's "Import Questions" screen, which show other formats. You can also explore various plugins.

The way that I would do this is to set up Moodle on a local computer (i.e., sandbox). Then you can experiment with various formats and see what works. When finished, export your question banks to Moodle XML and then import them into your production Moodle.

In general, when I import questions from textbook publisher's resources, pictures have never been a problem.  Just remembered, see what formats your textbook publisher provides.
In reply to Ian Lim

Re: Conveniently importing questions with images into moodle

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You could try my Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Question Format) plugin, which lets you create and edit questions in structured tables in Word and import them into Moodle. It supports embedded images, tables and equations. The following YouTube videos give a flavour.

For testing, you can import questions into my test server at www.Moodle2Word.net to check it out. You have to register to create an account on the server to do this.

If your Moodle administrator won't install the plugin, then you can still create and edit questions using Word: first import the Word files into my server, then export them into Moodle XML format, and finally import the XML file into your own server. You can also export questions from your own server into XML, import them into Moodle2Word, export them as Word, edit them, and reverse the process. It's tedious, but it works.

If you already have a lot of questions in some format or other, it can be difficult to initially convert them into Word or Moodle XML format. If you post a sample, I might have some ideas on how to speed it up.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)