Unable to load Notifications page

Unable to load Notifications page

by Elizabeth Smith -
Number of replies: 6

Hello! My site is running Moodle 3.6.2+ I recently loaded office 365 plugins and now when I go to Site administration > Notification (/moodle/admin/index.php?cache=1) I get the error "Exception - Class 'object' not found". The browser shows up with this error "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of /moodle/admin/index.php?cache=1 503 ()". 

I turned on debugging and got the following errors. 

Debug info:

Error code: generalexceptionmessage
Stack trace:
  • line 159 of \blocks\fn_my_menu\block_fn_my_menu.php: Error thrown
  • line 321 of \blocks\moodleblock.class.php: call to block_fn_my_menu->get_content()
  • line 230 of \blocks\moodleblock.class.php: call to block_base->formatted_contents()
  • line 1216 of \lib\blocklib.php: call to block_base->get_content_for_output()
  • line 1268 of \lib\blocklib.php: call to block_manager->create_block_contents()
  • line 604 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to block_manager->ensure_content_created()
  • line 75 of \theme\essential\classes\output\core_renderer.php: call to core_renderer->standard_head_html()
  • line 39 of \theme\essential\layout\tiles\header.php: call to theme_essential\output\core_renderer->standard_head_html()
  • line 30 of \theme\essential\layout\admin.php: call to require_once()
  • line 1328 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 1258 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line 462 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->header()
  • line 295 of \admin\renderer.php: call to plugin_renderer_base->__call()
  • line 889 of \admin\index.php: call to core_admin_renderer->admin_notifications_page()
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elizabeth Smith

Re: Unable to load Notifications page

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Did you update PHP as well? That's an error caused by a new reserved word in PHP 7.2.

The maximum version of PHP for 3.6.2 is PHP 7.0. If you want to use PHP 7.1, 7.2 or 7.2 (not newer) you need to upgrade to the lates version of 3.6 (3.6.10)

However, Moodle 3.6 is now completely unsupported and you should consider upgrading to a supported version.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Elizabeth Smith -
No. PHP has not been updated. We are currently using PHP 7.2.7 but we do have plans to upgrade our Moodle environment to 3.8. Thanks for the information. smile
In reply to Elizabeth Smith

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Related to what Howard has already suggested ... upgrading Moodle ... (which is a good idea), the essential theme seen in debug output also means you'll be seeking another theme:

https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_essential
Please note: Essential has reached 'End of life' at Moodle 3.6 - last version for.

So before you upgrade from 3.6 to higher version of Moodle change theme to one that came stock with 3.6 - more, clean, or boost to make that upgrade easier. Can do that just prior to upgrade easily via config.php file:

$CFG->theme='boost';

I mention cause been there ... done that! ;)

Might also check any other add on you have installed to assure it has a compatible version for destination Moodle version.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Elizabeth Smith -
Thanks for this tip, I wasn't aware of this since I'm still a Moodle newbie.
In reply to Ken Task

by Elizabeth Smith -
I finally upgraded to 3.8 and followed the suggested step (via config.php file: $CFG->theme='boost'; prior to the upgrade. ) But I'm still getting the same errors.

Debug info:
Error code: generalexceptionmessage
Stack trace:
line 159 of \blocks\fn_my_menu\block_fn_my_menu.php: Error thrown
line 341 of \blocks\moodleblock.class.php: call to block_fn_my_menu->get_content()
line 235 of \blocks\moodleblock.class.php: call to block_base->formatted_contents()
line 1181 of \lib\blocklib.php: call to block_base->get_content_for_output()
line 1233 of \lib\blocklib.php: call to block_manager->create_block_contents()
line 374 of \lib\blocklib.php: call to block_manager->ensure_content_created()
line 3920 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to block_manager->region_has_content()
line 40 of \theme\boost\layout\columns2.php: call to core_renderer->blocks()
line 1374 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to include()
line 1304 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
line 498 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->header()
line 296 of \admin\renderer.php: call to plugin_renderer_base->__call()
line 907 of \admin\index.php: call to core_admin_renderer->admin_notifications_page()