seeking hosting company recommendations!!

seeking hosting company recommendations!!

by jordy koski -
Number of replies: 16

Hi everyone,

I desperately need some recommendations for hosting companies. In particular I need a company that will be amenable to the general demands of a moodle installation. The hosting company i have signed up with refuses to give me the full OS path so I can't complete my installation.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks in advance,

Jordy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jordy koski

Re: seeking hosting company recommendations!!

by John Gone -
Well, without a doubt Moodle.com is the #1 choice but recently Martin suggested http://freehosting.phpfreaks.com/
I've spent a fair bit of time at their site learning from the many tutorials thay provide and I think they're probably very capable. And they offer free hosting under a pretty cool set of terms. Give 'em a try and let us know how it goes.

John

In reply to John Gone

by Jeffery Watkins -

I signed up for the freehosting and never heard back, but my spam increased shortly thereafter.  Same thing happened with a friend... signed up, nothing happened.

TotalChoiceHosting.com is pretty good.  Cpanel, 300mb and 5.5gig of transfer, unlimited pop3, mysql databases, nd a bunch more for 4 bucks a month.

In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by John Gone -

Thanks for the feedback on http://freehosting.phpfreaks.com/
doesn't sound too good.

Just wondering if this issue was ever resolved with totalchoicehosting?
Are there enough totalchoicehosting customers here to build a consensus on their real world, day-to-day performance? They look good on the surface but...

In reply to jordy koski

by Steve Edwards -

I would recommend www.totalqualityhosting.com but then I own it so I would wouldn't I!?

I have lots of moodles runing now and they are going up at a rate of one a week.

Please constact me off list on steve@totalqualityhosting.com for more

In reply to Steve Edwards

by Timothy Takemoto -
I have no doubt that http://moodle.com/hosting is the best place to go once you are committed but for a test....

For my test site I have been using ipowerweb.com for about a year. Then now offer 800MB for $8 a month. I have had no problems other than slightly inane (automated?) first support query responses. Ask them twice and they respond perfectly. They are one of the biggest low cost providers. Perhaps there is saftey in numbers?

But Total Choice Hosting gets a good buzz (other than a few isolated problems as mentioned above).

I tried the free hosting options while ago but I could get none of them to work.

http://www.yourhostsucks.com/
and
http://www.findmyhosting.com
seem to be good places to check upon a host.

In reply to jordy koski

by Dave Ray -

Use Moodle to host your site; or make sure the hosting company provides the lastest version of "CPanel" or similar type application with which you have tons of control/features to design your Moodle.

dave-----

In reply to jordy koski

Re: seeking hosting company recommendations!! --- Problems with Moodle.com

by Art Lader -
Tricked ya - we haven't had ANY. No problems. None. Nada. Nichts. Not a one. And so on.

In fact, we are so happy with the service that we're doing the Chcken Dance!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Art Lader
Aiken High School
Attachment chickendance.gif
In reply to jordy koski

by William Minto -
After much research, I've found Apollo (http://www.apollohosting.com) Hosting to be pretty good. They do require that you submit tech support tickets for certain bits of configuration, but they turn them around fast, and they have a Live Chat that seems to be operational 24x7. Their tech support people appear to be on the ball--they are Canadians, after all smile
My moodle is still not really ready for public use, but it does work!
In reply to William Minto

by Ray Cox -

I am also looking for a host for my new moodle only site.  I just purchased the domain name and need a reliable site where I can start publishing my Middle School Spanish Curriculum.

Any ideas for the easiest way to get this started?

Thanks in advance.

Ray Cox

In reply to Ray Cox

Re: seeking hosting company recommendations!! (Aussies note)

by Brett Drinkwater -

I have had a hosting account here in Australia that includes Fantastico. This brilliant scripting tool is built into the control panel. It automatically installs Moodle (as well as 40 other open source applications) and also allows you to perform upgrades at the click of a button. I'm very happy with it, but not enough time in the day to play sad

Try http://www.tashosting.com  for Australians needing a host. I find the local AU time support is excellent and can't recommend enough.

I can't speak for other service providers, but the Fantastico people have a list of providers on their website.

Cheers

Brett

In reply to William Minto

by N Hansen -
Strange...I too have been with Apollo for some time and have been pleased with them, but when I looked into what was needed to host moodle for some reason (which I can't recall) they didn't fit the bill, so I was planning on switching this week to someone else since my latest contract will be up. And they are not a Canadian company, but an American one based in Texas. I'd like to hear how easy it was for you to set it up with them, because I would be happy to stay with them if it is possible to set up Moodle there.
In reply to N Hansen

by Steven Day -
Others have mentioned Total Choice Hosting. I'm pleased with their services. They just increased their basic starter web hosting plans. So you can get 450/10gb a month for $4; 850/20gb month for only $5. Pay for one year and get one month free. Good deal and good support.
In reply to jordy koski

by Mark Hughes -

I recommend Dreamhost.com  They're still at Apache 1.3 but in the process of upgrading.  You can get 500MB of storage for $9.95 or 1600 MB for $19.95.  While we don't run very high volume, all of the machines have ben able to handle 35 simultaneous users (one class) each with no sweat, and we're a good order of magnitude below the bandwidth limits each month.

They aren't perfect, but they've always been willing to help figure stuff out and have pretty quick response with tech support.  I'm running four moodle sites off of them for almost a year now and everything is swell

Here is one final thing you need to know if you do get dreamhost...they've got some wacky security restrictions, and it appears at first like you don't have GD installed and some other things -- but all is well with this one-line addition to an .htaccess file in your webroot

AddType php-cgi .php

If you do host through them I can help you set it up.(It'll take about ten minutes after your dns record and mysql database are set up....which will take about an hour)

Mark

In reply to Mark Hughes

by David Mozealous -

Hey Mark,

Following your advice I went with Dreamhost, but I have having some problems.  I know you posted to this forum over a year ago, but I could still use some advice.  My problem is that my content can never find the SCORM API in IE on the first load.  Did you ever run into this problem?  If so, any advice for someone like me?