Upgrading fails because of server timeout - help!

Upgrading fails because of server timeout - help!

by Andrew Lian -
Number of replies: 3

Hello

I was upgrading from Moodle 3.7 to moodle 3.8. All was going well and them my server took too long to respond. and it broke the connection that was running through cloudflare. Now I can no longer go back or restart or do anything. Instead I get a message saying: "Site is being upgraded, please retry later."

I do not have a site backup (stupid me!) so cannot revert to an earlier state.

The situation is not entirely tragic because I had very little on this site, but it is also not good ...

Thanks for any help/ideas...

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Lian

Re: Upgrading fails because of server timeout - help!

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Only way I can think of depends upon if server had sshd running ... if so, one should be able to bypass CF via ssh by going to the real IP of the server.

Once logged on as root or a user that could sudo -s, one could restart apache service (killing any sessions established), then change to moodlecode/admin/cli/ directory and try the cli upgrade.php script in that directory.  php upgrade.php [ENTER]

Does read variables from config.php for parameters.

Good luck!

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Andrew Lian

by Heather P -
It is much too long after the action now, but my site usually does that because it is getting quite large. I find that if I just leave it a little bit, rather than rushing at it straight away as soon as the page times out and then in the url at the top take out whatever is after the main site name and put in /admin and hit return it usually comes back with the next part of the upgrade. It seems to keep running on the server, it is just my PC web page that has timed out, not the actual upgrade. I suspect I probably need to look at something in the IIS settings, but I'm not that sure about it.

If you don't do that and try to start the whole thing again, that's when you get the message about the site being upgraded.
In reply to Andrew Lian

by S. Ba. -
Hello,

We've been facing the same problem.
But the difference in our situation is that both servers (App+DB) are local on our site.
Even though, during upgrade (from 3.5 to 3.9), the App server is connecting to Cloudflare and timeout occurs.
Plus, the upgrade is halted at this stage: 
Upgrading to new version 
 message_popup

Did you manage to solve your issue?