A free plugin which compresses student's videos

A free plugin which compresses student's videos

by Dylan Lewis -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all, 

Does anyone know of a plugin that can allow students to upload video and compress it at the same time?  We have lots of users who are using mobile devices and as a result take videos for some assessments. With most modern phones, they record in high definition resolution which produces a huge file size.

What I would like to have is the ability to add an assignment upload with the option to select media e.g Images / video. As the media is uploaded, its compressed (ideally client side). We have looked at Web RTC within the Atto editor, this works on Chromebooks/ other devices running Chrome, however, unfortunately, it doesn't work on iOS.

I have seen a few discussions on Poodll, however this costs quite a lot. Does anyone know of any alternatives?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dylan Lewis

Re: A free plugin which compresses student's videos

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, I am the Poodll Guy, but anyway ... there is this one: https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_html5avtomp4
I am not sure what that does with the original file though. Ideally it would remove it but it probably doesn't. I bet it could be modified to though.

If you have not a great budget or its not important enough to buy a solution, my advice is to tell your users not to use IOS.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)