How to prevent the HTML editor appearing for certain pages? (Developer question)

How to prevent the HTML editor appearing for certain pages? (Developer question)

by Dan Stowell -
Number of replies: 8
Hi - I'm creating something in Moodle which includes a form for typing in some optional custom code, using a HTML <textarea> element. (Don't worry, it's not possible to use it to execute malicious code. It's only Jmol-script.)

How can I prevent the <textarea> from automagically turning into the HTML editor? It's highly inappropriate in the case of this particular form field...

Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Stowell

Re: How to prevent the HTML editor appearing for certain pages? (Developer question)

by Jan Dierckx -

Hi Dan,

I wasn't aware of the HTML editor automatically turning every <textarea> into a HTML editor.

If you use Moodle's print_textarea function, the first argument specifies if you want to use the HTML editor (if the user has allowed it, that is)

print_textarea(false, 30, 65, 680, 400, "alltext", "default text"); 

will open a normal textarea with name 'alltext' and content 'default text'.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: How to prevent the HTML editor appearing for certain pages? (Developer question)

by Dan Stowell -
Does this work for you? It doesn't work for me.

When I asked the question I was directly writing <textarea> to the page, and somehow that was automatically transformed into a HTML editor. Now, I'm doing as you say, with print_textarea(false...), and it still appears as a HTML editor! (I can prove that I'm looking at the right screen etc wink since if I manipulate the rows/cols arguments, the box changes size...)
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Jan Dierckx -

The example is taken from the text resource type, which AFAIK displays a normal <textarea> ... if I am looking at the right screen, that is... wink

Don't know why it doesn't work mixed Maybe you could look at how the text resource type displays a textarea without the HTML editor kicking in.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Dan Stowell -
Thanks! The clue was indeed revealed in the "text" resource type. The solution, for anyone else who may need it:

Set the *global* variable $usehtmleditor to 'summary' (i.e. the name(s) of the textarea(s) that you *do* want to be passed through the HTML editor) - if you don't do this, then by default all of the textareas are transformed.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Janne Mikkonen -
Don't include use_html_editor function at the bottom of your page, that should do it.

usually used:

at the top of the page:

$usehtmleditor = can_use_html_editor();

and at the bottom of the page:

if ( $usehtmleditor ) {
    use_html_editor();
}

So just leave these out and editor shouldn't appear.

- Janne -
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Dan Stowell -
I'm not calling that function at all.mixed

This development is part of the "mod/resource" framework so perhaps something else somewhere is calling that function. But I've done a text search on the "mod/resource" folder and can't find a reference anywhere...

In reply to Dan Stowell

by Jan Dierckx -

Dan,

I downloaded your jmol resource type, but couldn't find a textarea. Maybe you are referring to a new version you are working on.

$usehtmleditor is set in course/mod.php before code of the mod/resource framework is called. It is set according to the user preference. (See function can_use_html_editor() in moodlelib.php)

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Dan Stowell -
Jan -

You're absolutely right. I changed it from a textarea to a one-line "input" field in order to avoid the HTML editor!

I've now found out how to solve the problem - see my reply above...

Sorry for any confusion. I've updated the CVS version (the zip download will take 24 hours to update).