SCORM: Continue where left off and record grades?

SCORM: Continue where left off and record grades?

by Marco Frischknecht -
Number of replies: 6

Afternoon, all, hope you're all doing well and keeping safe.

My team and I have a possible project coming soon, the short of it is that it's a small SCORM with some activities and quizzes in it. One of the requirements is that a participant can stop and resume at their convenience without having to start back from the beginning, essentially where they left off. We are using Articulate Storyline 3 for this which is giving us great results so far. Problem is, we've have an issue with how grades are recorded whenever a user resumes their attempt, namely, it does not record any newer grades.

I've been lurking through these forums before posting and it seems that it's a matter of the SCORM activity going into review mode after resuming an attempt, instead of the usual mode. We've tried to disable it unsuccessfully. Grades are recorded correctly when the user completes the activity in one go but not in various sessions, it seems. Right now this is our biggest issue to overcome as the completion of the overall package, when done in one sitting, is working correctly.

Any input is appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marco Frischknecht

Re: SCORM: Continue where left off and record grades?

by Christine Hounsham -
Hi Marco

I agree that the likely issue here is that Review Mode is being tripped. When the SCORM activity opens as a New Window you should see 'Review' displayed in the top left corner if this is occurring. Note Review Mode will trigger when the Completion Status reaches Completed regardless of whether Passed or Failed.

I am assuming you are tracking based on a quiz result slide (and not number of slides viewed)? Assuming it is on a quiz slide, if:
Publish as SCORM 2004 (preferably 4th edition). Set tracking to Passed/Failed. In Moodle set Mastery Score to No and Force Complete also set to No. Set Activity Completion to When Conditions are met, must view and passed.

With these settings - resume state, success status and raw score should work for uses re-entering prior to reaching the result slide. If a user attempts the quiz and fails, and gets as far as the result slide - this will trigger review mode. This is because the Completion status is updated to Complete (when exit after having got beyond the start of timeline on the result slide), even though the Success Status is Failed. Once Review Mode is triggered Success Status and Score can not be updated. To reattempt users would need to check the 'Start a new attempt' check box on the Entry page. (Entry page will only show if launching in a new window and if entry page to checked under Appearance settings) If you included a Retry button on your Result slide - it's important to understand the retry results will only pass back if the course has not been completed i.e. previously existed.

If this the scenario you are trying to avoid, consider publishing as SCORM 2004 (preferably 4th edition), Set tracking to Passed/Incomplete. (all other settings as above)

Now if a user fails quiz and exits, it won't trigger Review Mode (because completion status will be Incomplete, and success status Failed). In this case a user will be able to resume the package and retry the quiz (you will need to include either the Retry button on the result slide or custom build triggers to reset the quiz try). If they then pass, their new results will be tracked in Moodle.

The downside of using Pass/Incomplete is that the 'Start a new attempt' check box will not appear on the entry page when users fail quiz (because the success status remains as 'Incomplete'. The check box appears when the success status is 'failed'). This may not be an issue for you, however, it means that you will need to ensure that there is an easy way within the package for users to reset to quiz try.

When testing use the Log to note the different status that are getting passed back as you fail, exit, enter etc, so that you can identify when what is triggering Review Mode.

Note: above is different if you are tracking via number of slides viewed or by a course complete trigger.

Hope this helps, Christine
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Christine Hounsham

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I cannot speak to articulate but it is possible that your questions are not set to 'remember' between sessions. I know that is possible in Lectora and maybe captivate. You might check.
In reply to Christine Hounsham

by Marco Frischknecht -
Hi Christine, thanks for the reply. A few days after posting the original comment we tried with a different program and SCORM version, namely SCORM 2004 as opposed to 1.2 which we were using until then, and it worked. It took some tuning with the settings to be somewhat similar to what you propose, but thankfully it's working. We were using SCORM 1.2 as it was used before I joined the team, but this will help me get the team to move our courses to 2004 over time. If anyone's curious, it also works if you're publishing the SCORM as LTI.

Thank you all.
In reply to Marco Frischknecht

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'll reiterate Shirley's point. Moodle does NOT support 2004 so while you may get some of the functionality you want, you will have other problems long term. I work with a team that published all their content as 2004 for a long time and they had countless problems. When I investigated, the problem was the 2004. We republished as 1.2 and all those problems stopped.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Marco Frischknecht -
Thanks for the reminder, Melanie. I'll keep it in mind going forward, but I'm not allowed much choice in this matter. We've really tried everything possible in 1.2 but it's not working. I'm hoping that, our SCORM being as simple as it is, won't give us much trouble and if it does, I now know what the issue might be. Thank you all for the help and replies!