Display Moodle SCORM on external website

Display Moodle SCORM on external website

by Luciano Castro -
Number of replies: 7

Hi, I'm trying to display my SCORMs that are hosted on Moodle from an external website, I'm already using the Moodle API to display all the other content from Moodle, track progression, take quizzes, etc.

I noticed that the mobile app works with Scorms, along with the desktop app, so I know this is possible, but I just couldn't find the way yet.

I tried downloading the Scorm ZIP file and unzip it, and load the file indexAPI.html as an iFrame from my site (like the moodle app does), but it gives me an error "error - unable to acquire LMS API ".

What am I missing to make it work? Any suggestions on how I can do this?

I also tried loading the Scrom player page from an iFrame, but it asks for username and password, and I would like to avoid this like the mobile app does that works mostly with the user token.

This is what the Moodle mobile app does on the HTML:

It basically loads an iFrame of the SCORM index file, but I don't know how it does the connection to send the user results etc.

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luciano Castro

Re: Display Moodle SCORM on external website

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have you tried just loading the zip file (not zipped)? That's how they usually run.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Luciano Castro -
Hi! Thanks for your message.

How would that be different from what I tried?
Loading it in an iframe? and which file should I load?

Thanks again!

by Melanie Scott -

A scorm zip is all the pieces put together and connected. When you unzip it, you take it apart. For a scorm to work properly, it needs to be together. At first, it sounded like you were linking to an external source but then you said you have the zip. 

If you have the zip, drop it in a scorm activity (or just drop it in the course page if editing is on) and it will work. most techie people make the sign of the cross when they hear the word iframe. Highly insecure. Avoid, if possible.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Luciano Castro -

Right! But this  would be to display the scorm on the Moodle web app itself.

I have my scorms already loaded in my courses, what I'm trying to achieve is to allow the students to take the Scorms from an external website built on, for example, Laravel, like what the Moodle Mobile app does, it allows you to take courses from the Ionic App they built, but I wasn't able to replicate this functionality, I did managed to get all the other content types like quizes for example.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Does Laravel have a content player?
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Luciano Castro -

I don't think so, what kind of content player?
I can't look into that and integrate an external one if needed

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Moodle and Moodle app has SCORM content players, if your external application does not have a content player, the SCORM content will not play/behave as expected.