No HTML Editor

No HTML Editor

by Jeffery Watkins -
Number of replies: 13
I have done 3 complete clean installs and do not get an html editor for some reason.  Am I forgetting to do something?  Is there an additional download?  Do I have to install 1.1.1 first, then upgrade to the nightly?

Here is a screen shot.
Attachment screen.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

Re: No HTML Editor

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jeffrey,
Which browser are you using? Are you using the same browser in both setups? In my case, the HTML editor only works with IE (in Windows) not Safari (in Mac). With Safari, I get the same simple screen that you got. I understand a newer HTML editor is in the works.
Don Hinkelman
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Floyd Collins -
I agree I think its a browser issue. Make sure you have java turned on, I am not 100% sure on this but I know with Mozilla I had to turn java on befor I got the editor. 
In reply to Floyd Collins

by Andy Diament -

I've just posted this problem in the General problems forum; in mine java is definitely working, I think that there are some javascript errors (page loaded with errors), but our network is locked down so I can't get into the Internet Explorer options; also, using hte html editor IS turned on.

some time later:

further details

on a machine with script debugging enables

line 230 of ...moodle/lib/editor/HTMLarea.php

object HTMLarea.I18N.tooltips is null or not found

by Janne Mikkonen -

In Mozilla look into Tools -> Web development -> JavaScript console.

Do you see any errors or warnings?

In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Jeffery Watkins -
I was using IE with the same problem.  Early versions of moodle worked fine.  I just clean installed 1.1.1 and editor is there.

by Jeffery Watkins -

I just uploaded the latest CVS of moodle and the html editor disappeared.  When I was running 1.1.1 it was there, now I am running Moodle 1.2 development (2003120700)
and the editor is gone again.

Should I file a bug report?

by John Gone -
Hi Jeffery,
Make sure you've enabled HTML editor in your variables as well as user profile. Sounds obvious but...
John
In reply to John Gone

by Jeffery Watkins -

First thing I looked at.  Just seems weird that an older version was working fine and the upgrade kills it.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It is wierd ... I don't think it's the upgrade ... none of my sites are having that problem and there hasn't been any significant changes I can think of that would cause that.

The editor in 1.2 development is completely new compared to 1.1.1, and there's no need to do anything special. to make it work on Gecko browsers like Mozilla (on any platform).

Did you look for the Javascript errors in the console (Janne's suggestion) ?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jeffery Watkins -

No, I didn't look.  I hardly ever use Mozilla and just tried it out to see if the problem was IE.  But it was with both.  I just cloned a copy from another installation I had and am making the necessary changes.  Everything seems to be working well now, but it has frightened me off of CVS for a while.

Jeff

by John Gone -
Weird, I just got a new copy via anonymous CVS and everything works perfectly.smile
In reply to John Gone

by Jeffery Watkins -

I know... I had the exact same version on another installation and it worked fine.  I know its not the server, because its the same server.  When I copied everything from the one that worked to the one that didn't, everything worked fine.

Just one of those things