Bandwidth required in Server to use Moodle collaborate

Bandwidth required in Server to use Moodle collaborate

by Carmen Olmedo -
Number of replies: 3

Good Morning

I wanted to make the following query. In an educational center we want to have our own Moodle server hosted on a hosting. 
This version, as you know, includes the video conferencing tool. The idea is that teachers can make videoconferences with their students,
being able to be connected by this means at the same time from 300 to 400 users. 
It occurs to us to hire a dedicated server that offers us a bandwidth of 1Gb / s, 32GB of RAM, 2x4TB HDD and 2x500Gb SSD Storage.

Do you think that would be enough?

Where can I check the sufficient bandwidth for Moodle from version 3.5? How to calculate it by number of concurrent users in videoconferences?

I hope your help

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carmen Olmedo

Re: Bandwidth required in Server to use Moodle collaborate

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
This is what the people at BigBlueButton say: https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/support/faq.html#what-are-the-minimum-bandwidth-requirements-for-the-bigbluebutton-server.

Somewhere I saw a calculation based on the number of participants, video-streams, their resolutions, etc. Can't find it now. May be you'll find it in the Web conferencing plugins forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=7797.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
This is the calculation I meant: https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/support/faq.html#bandwidth-requirements.

BTW, we are talking of two different things: the Moodle server and the BBB server. They can't be on the server, not alone due to the load, their software components tend to collide. The FAQ are about the BBB server. But you don't have to run your own BBB server. There are specialized providers in BBB, the original developer is amoung them. That is how they finance the development of the product. Moodle is the same.
In reply to Carmen Olmedo

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Carmen, which version includes video conferencing tool? Moodle doesn't comes with video conferencing included, however there are external plug-ins that would help you achieve that.
Big Blue Button is mainly used, but for that you'll be setting up additional server (Based on Apache TomCat) as BBB doesn't runs on standard HTTP servers, for setting up BBB you'll have to rely on upstream bandwidth, else you can look for third part providers who can provide BBB that you can integrate in your moodle. If you're setting up own BBB, then make sure that 1Gb/s bandwidth is dedicated and not shared.

Then there are choices of Zoom or Microsoft Teams - both will not require high bandwidth on your servers - they essentially fetch presenter's video and convert into streams to be presented to 'n' number of audiences.

The dedicated server you mentioned, switch the hard drives to serve 400 concurrent - I meant use SSD's for operations and HDD's for storage.