Content Bank

Content Bank

by rachit gupta -
Number of replies: 35

There's a new feature in 3.9where a user can upload or create h5p content. Does a user need to have an active h5p account all the time to use this feature without extra fees?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to rachit gupta

Re: Content Bank

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Rachit,
if my understanding is correct, I'm quite sure you don't need any additional account anywhere. Any user with the appropriate rights can manage his or her content bank or the content bank of a course.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to rachit gupta

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You are right, Beatriz. Teachers will have access by default to their courses' content bank to create and edit H5P content. You don't need anything else than a Moodle instance and the appropiate rights to access it big grin
If the 'Add' button in the content bank is disabled, might be because there's no H5P content type installed. A site administrator or manager could check the content types installed in Site admin / H5P / Manage H5P content types. They can either upload H5P content types from h5p.org or enable the scheduled task 'Download available H5P content types from h5p.org'. But you don't need any H5P account for it.
I hope this helps, Rachit. Thanks for your feedback!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Amaia Anabitarte

by Benjamin Waller -
Hello Amaia and Beatriz,

I'm curious about this Enable the scheduled task 'Download available H5P content types from h5p.org' in the Manage H5P content types. How do you set this up? or is it an automatic cron task generated by the system? Because I notice in my list of Installed H5P content types, I don't have them all! But I can't seem to figure out how to get all content types installed without doing it manually.

Also I have questions about the how the Content bank works across courses/users because I wonder whether (H5P) content you put in the "Content bank" is available site-wide or only in the course you put it in?
Cheers,
Ben

In reply to Benjamin Waller

by Stuart Mealor -

The download of H5P activities is a Cron task, and part of the Moodle 'back end' that runs scheduled tasks automatically (just like sending out forums posts, or assignment notifications). So this is something for a site administrator to ensure is set correctly.

There are a couple of H5P content types that do not appear to be added to Moodle including Impressive Presentation for example, I expect that has something to do with it being a Beta release.

Your question about the Content Bank is also really important - and this should be clearly documented in Moodle Docs.

Usually, if a file is added to a course as an Alias, and then the course is backed up and restored elsewhere, the alias files are not included. I assume it will be the same for this H5P Content Bank too, although I haven't had time to test it yet.

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Benjamin Waller -
Thanks for chiming in Stuart.
On the point of Installed H5P content types, I'm not talking about Beta releases, I only have 15 content types available of out about 43 I think currently listed on H5P.org! So I might have to explore the Cron task issue because I am the administrator of my Moodle site!

Cheers,
Ben

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Moodle is not maintaining H5P, just integrating H5P and Moodle projects. So the content types downloaded by default via the 'Download available H5P content types from h5p.org' cron task are the ones H5P offers through their API. So this cron task will download all the content types in https://api.h5p.org/v1/content-types/.
We hope the number of content types H5P supports will increase in the future, and the cron task will download also the 'new' content types to your site.
If you want to add a content type that is not listed by H5P API, you can upload it manually as Beatriz explained.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Amaia,
There may be a usability problem with the upgrade and the cron setting. If a system is installed or upgraded the cron will not run immediately, but defaults to running on the first day of the month. If some upgrades today, they may may have to wait thirty days they can user H5P unless they manually run the script. It seems like there should be a setting that prompts the admin whether the script should be run immediately when upgrading.
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Actually this is fairly clear in the H5P documentation. The admin does need to make sure the script runs before H5P can be used.
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Benjamin Waller -
Hello Daniel,
Yes. but this potential issue can be negated by adjusting the cron job settings to run when you would like it to run. But as you say by default, it is set up to run once monthly which without knowing is a problem. 
In my case, I changed it to run every day. See screenshots below. 

by Benjamin Waller -
Hi Stuart,
I have had a look at whether you can use these .h5p files as an Alias and I don't see any option to do it (Create an alias/shortcut to the file) in the file picker as you can do with other files.
This would be a cruel feature that should be implemented for .h5p files as well so that we don't have to duplicate these files across the server to share them into other contexts/courses.

Cheers,
Ben

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello. My understanding is that if you have teacher access to other courses where there is H5P content then you can search the content bank in those courses and bring in an item as an alias (a bit like searching Server files)

I understand the H5P team are planning to improve the documentation. (As an aside, there is a course on the School demo site now, English with H5P with some sample content (log in with username teacher, password moodle) but I think I will add some in another course as well so you can try the aliases. At the moment it is just in one course)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Benjamin Waller -
Thanks Mary for your response and suggestions.

Yes you are right about being able to create an alias. I tried to and it worked when adding Resource/File. Thanks. Though this wasn't the functionality I was expecting/looking for. This method treats the .h5p file as a file which once added, via an alias, you can download it. 

However, I was trying to do this alias linking from the Content bank between courses and that didn't work for me as you showed when adding a file!. For instance when one teacher has .h5p content in his Content bank of one course and then, the same teacher, in another course, doesn't get the alias option but has to save the .h5p file into his other course thus the duplication. Unless my system is not working as expected but I will check out the School demo site to see how it should function. 
Thanks again
BTW. The alias method worked when i tested adding the .h5p activity into a Page..

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi again - just to clarify: (your words) "For instance when one teacher has .h5p content in his Content bank of one course and then, the same teacher, in another course, doesn't get the alias option but has to save the .h5p file into his other course thus the duplication. "
 I am not sure what you are doing differently from me
As teacher Bob (for example!) I have some H5P content in Course A  and I would like to use it in Course B. So I go to Course B and I turn on the editing and Add an H5P activity. Then I click Package file > Add and search for Course B and there is my H5P file and I can indeed add it as an alias. You have to add an H5P activity to get the alias option.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Benjamin Waller -
Hi there,
Yes so the method you just outlined works. 😀 Thanks for your clarification.

The method that i was trying out was different but the logic starts the same: "As teacher Bob (for example!) I have some H5P content in Course A  and I would like to use it in Course B. So I go to Course B"  However the H5P content is located in Content bank of Course A.  So from in the Content bank of Course B, I was trying to firstly Upload then from Upload content > Choose a file (the .5hp file from Course A) but I don't get the alias option here. 

It's quite possible that the Content bank isn't meant to function this way but I thought i might. So again my first thought was how the Content bank works across courses/users because I wonder whether (H5P) content you put in the "Content bank" is available site-wide or only in the course you put it in? 

Cheers,
Ben

by Mary Cooch -
The H5P content you put in your content bank in your course is available to others on the site who have editing or other mangement rights in your course and so can access the content bank via the file picker when you add an h5P activity. My understanding is that the content bank you see in your individual courses only relates to you in that course and you can't search there for H5P content from other courses.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Amaia Anabitarte -
The main idea of the content bank is to create the content once, and use it as many times as you need. Where to create that content depends on your permissions and other users' permissions.
As Mary said, when teacher Bob creates a content in Course A content bank, that content will be available in any course for any user who has the right permission to Course A. So you can create a content in Course A and all the teacher with permissions to Course A could use the content in all their courses.
So, if somebody with site level access creates a content in the Site Content bank, that content will be available for all teachers in all courses.

The alias/copy options in the filepicker feature has a different purpose. If you choose a content from the Content bank repository and select 'Create an alias/shortcut to the file', if someone edits the content in the content bank, the changes will be applied also in this instance (kind of synchronized). But if you select 'Make a copy of the file' this will be a copy of the source content, so the changes and edition on the source content bank content won't be applied on the current instance.

by Benjamin Waller -
Hi Amaia,
I have tested the way H5P content is copied in Moodle by the user from the 'Make a copy of the file' option and what is important to know is that the copy isn't saved in the Content Bank, it is saved in the Server files area. This is an important difference and is not idea and may not be the best place for storing copies...I would have thought that the copy would have been saved into the Content Bank of the course you are saving it into!! Often Admins turn off Server files, like they do at the Institute I work at for all sorts of security and file management reasons so it would be impossible to access the copy in this scenario. So I would suggest the best way to get a copy of the H5P would be to download it and then upload it into the Content Bank of the course you want to have it in. 

Cheers,
Ben

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Thanks Benjamin for your feedback
I understand saving file copies in Server files area could be a problem.
Would you mind reporting an issue to discuss an improve this behavior on the tracker adding as many information as you can and some use cases for it, please?
Thanks a lot for your help and support.
Amaia

by Benjamin Waller -
Hello Amaia,

I will try to report it though I haven't done that before. I see this issue H5P-activities copied with option "make copy of this file" do not appear in the course H5P-content bank from June last year reported as a bug but it was closed not as a bug. Should I comment there because it is the same issue (it just didn't discuss where the copy is being saved and that saving to the Server files isn't an ideal location and should be saved in the Content Bank) or create another report.  If I create an new issue, would the type be 'New feature' ? What is the Priority etc..? Some guidance here would be appreciated. 
Thanks,
Benjamin

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Hello Benjamin!

That issue was closed because was not a bug, but a misunderstanding of how to use the content bank.
You're issue is a different problem, and will have a different solution.
Here you are some more information about Moodle Tracker and how to create new issues: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Tracker_introduction

In this case, I think the issue you'll be reporting could be an 'Improvement'. And the component 'Content bank'. And you don't need to be worried about the rest of the fields (add whatever you think fits better). Adding 'Content bank' as a component the team that is "taking care" of that component will triage it, checking all the fields are ok, filling whatever else is missing and asking for any other information we need.

The most important thing for us is you to use a clear title and to add as many information as you can to the 'Description' field: what the issue is, some steps to reproduce or understand and test the problem, use cases why this change/improvement is important, and so on.

If you prefer, you could add that 'Title' and 'Description' here and I could create the tracker issue on your behalf. Don't worry about that smile
But you'll see using the tracker is easier that expected and less scary ;-P

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

Amaia

by Weslley Bezerra -
Hello
I have a doubt, in my file selector there is no option "content bank" that stores the h5p files, even after having activated it in the repository to be visible I still don't appear in the file selector
In reply to Weslley Bezerra

by Mary Cooch -
Where are you when you go to the file picker and you don't see the Content bank? Are you trying to add an H5P activity? Or somewhere else? Do you have the latest version of Moodle 3.9?

by Annette Hansen -

I am an administrator but just can't figure out how to get this Cron job running. (I don't really know about consoles etc.) I looked at Site administration > H5P > Content type and tried to upload the content types I downloaded from https://moodle.org/plugins/qformat_h5p

The alert I got was "Invalid H5P content type"

So how can I get H5P into my Moodle Site on MoodleCloud (3.8)? By the way I am using the free trial package right now.

In reply to Annette Hansen

by Mary Cooch -
Annette - if you are using MoodleCloud then you need to wait until you have Moodle version 3.9 which should be in July - and then all the content types will be done for you -you won't have to do anything yourself.

by rachit gupta -

Amaia Anabitarte -

content I have created is on h5p.com which is not free. 

does moodle offer complete h5p interactive video capabilities from the integrated instance?

In reply to rachit gupta

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Hi Rachit!
You could download your content from h5p.com and upload to the Content bank, but for now there is no way to synchronize h5p.com and your Moodle site. That means that your changes on Moodle won't be applied on your h5p.com site, and your changes on h5p.com won't be applied on your Moodle site.

If you want to keep using and editing all your content in h5p.com, you could embed it in your Moodle site using 'Display H5P' filter available since Moodle 3.8.
For more information see https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Display_H5P_filter

by Benjamin Waller -
Hi Rachit,

Yes as Amaia said one way is to embed your content in your Moodle site which works but you lose tracking capabilities for grading and reporting. The other way is to just use H5P.com's LTI integration. This way your content created on H5P.com is brought in to your Moodle site and you can edit the content on either side: Moodle or H5P.com. As a bonus, you also get access to reporting data (student analytics) and grades are stored in Moodle too.

See more about H5P.com's integrations https://h5p.org/node/287135
In reply to rachit gupta

by Sharon Gan -
Hi,
We just upgraded to Moodle version 3.9.2 and I installed the interactive content - HFP plugin. I am able to add H5P as an activity. I don't see the Content Bank in my course nav drawer. Would appreciate some guidance on enabling Content Bank so I can build activities in there rather than add it directly to the course topic.

Thank you
In reply to Sharon Gan

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Hi Sharon!
Where the Content Bank is depends on the Theme you are using.
  • For Boost, for example, is in the course nav drawer:
  • For Classic is in the Navigation block > Site pages
But not sure where on the theme you use could be.

Apart from that, you need to have permission to access the Content bank. Teachers and managers have permission to access it by default, but an admin could change those permissions.
To check you have the right permissions, you could try to create an H5P activity (the blue rounded icon) 

Below the 'Package file' filepicker you will see a 'Use the content bank' link if you have the right to use it.

I hope this helps smile

by Sharon Gan -
Hi Amaia - yes, thank you! My organization is currently using the Edwiser RemUI theme - that explains why I can't find the Content Bank in the nav drawer. I wonder if there's another way to access the Content bank, either site-wide or within a course? I need to look into permissions.

Thank you,
Sharon
In reply to Sharon Gan

by Andrew Thomas Tobey -
Hi Sharon,

Same here! I am looking for the content bank in RemUI too. Have you been successful in finding it already?

Regards,

Andrew Thomas Tobey
In reply to Andrew Thomas Tobey

by Sharon Gan -
Hi Andrew,

Our Moodle vendor's programmer tweaked something on the backend and the Content Bank showed up. I'm not sure what he did though.

Sharon