How to upgrade to 3.9 from 3.8

How to upgrade to 3.9 from 3.8

by Marisa Granizo -
Number of replies: 7

I have recently purchased a MoodleCloud site and took the learnmoodle basics course 2 months ago. I have downloaded the zip version of 3.9 onto my desktop, but have no idea what to do next. How can I import 3.9 items to 3.8 without tampering with my courses? I'm clueless😊

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marisa Granizo

Re: How to upgrade to 3.9 from 3.8

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Marisa, if you're on moodlecloud, then you cannot do anything at backend, they will be doing the work for you in terms of up-gradations of moodle core and or any respective plug-ins, hopefully in a week's time you'll get to use latest moodle on moodlecloud.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Adam Coorey -

Hi Usman,

I'm in the same boat, but I'm not using MoodleCloud (so I'd be upgrading it myself). What would be the steps after downloading the zip file? I'm having trouble understanding the first update steps in Moodle Docs after putting the site in maintenance mode.

In reply to Adam Coorey

by Usman Asar -
Adam, where is your moodle based? a shared server?
also which version are you upgrading from?
based on your answers I will be in better position to assist, or navigate you to Rick Jerz's video he recently created in upgrading moodle with CPanel, though he's using VPS but shared servers work alike as long as they have CPanel installed.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Adam Coorey -
I'm using a hosting site called 'SiteGround'. I've just found out from their team that I need to upload the files through their file manager. They've noted that I need to move everything into another folder (which I can make under the 'public_html' folder) and then extract the zip filed 3.9 into there. If I do this and continue using the moodle docs step (from 'replacing the config.php file'), would this be the right approach to upgrading? Would I need to do anything extra to retain the student or class data?
In reply to Adam Coorey

by Usman Asar -

Adam, approach is right, BUT, considering your approach it SEEMS to me that you've installed moodle first time using the script installer? softacolous? else you'd be perfectly familier with the installation/up-gradation process.

Anyway, i'll link Rick's videos that will assist you in upgrading moodle with ease.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=401983#p1621924

If your first install was using script installer, I will thoroughly recommend installing from start and import courses in new one as script installed moodles tend to break the code at some point.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Marisa Granizo -

Thank you, Usman.  I really appreciate your immediate reply.  I'll wait then.